Subject: Re: [Jmap] I-D Action: draft-ietf-jmap-quotas-00.txt

From: René CORDIER <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 10:26:51 +0000

Hi Neil and thanks for the feedback ! I will try to comment a bit inline
of your reply:

Le 29 octobre 2019 12:20, de [email-masked]

Some feedback on this draft:

It's mail-specific at the moment, but could probably be made pretty generic, which I think would be more useful. e.g. Instead of "mesageCount" and "mesageStorageSize" we'd just have "size" or "count" as the types of quota, which could apply to any object type. Then you have another property on the Quota object that lists the data type(s) it applies to.

Yes I got that comment a few times already, the document definitely
needs to be made more generic.

I'm a bit unclear on how "usedScope" and "limitScope" could be different and what this would mean in practice (and if this is actually done in the real world).

Actually I'm starting to think as well this just adds extra
complexity... Only one field "scope" might be enough, and then we can
have different quotas declared for each scope (global, domain, account,
...). Will think more on this (debate is open of course).

I'm not sure I see the purpose of the "quotaIds" property addition to the Mailbox object. I feel it would be cleaner not to add this (but add a property to the Quota object to indicate a subscope if it only applies to a subset of the objects of that type in the account).

I think as Benoit tried to say in his reply, we first thought by adding
the "quotasIds" to the mailbox object, it would be easy for the client
to fetch the quota affecting the account from the mailbox and show the
usage to the user. We thought as well maybe it can be then fine-grained
to the point where you can have special quotas for specific mailboxes
that don't apply to the rest of the account...

But is this level of fine-grained needed? Wanted? Maybe it's overkill
and redundant (like you need to put the quota id to all mailboxes if
it's general to the account) and we can discuss about that. But you are
right as well to mention the calendar, it could be linked to quotas as
well, and the mailbox is not the only object affected then. But linking
it to what then?

You can have users that have a normal quota (2Go for example), premium
with 5Go and VIP with unlimited... Maybe part of the Account object? Or
do you have a better idea?

Cheers,

Neil.

Cheers,

Rene Cordier.