Subject: [jose] Fwd: W3C launches Web Cryptography Working Group

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:43:38 -0600

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: W3C launches Web Cryptography Working Group
Resent-Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 21:38:16 +0000
Resent-From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 23:39:10 +0200
From: Harry Halpin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Everyone - thanks for all the feedback and work since the Workshop,
we're finally launching:

   W3C launched today a new Web Cryptography Working Group, whose
   mission is to define an API that lets developers implement
   secure application protocols on the level of Web applications,
   including message confidentiality and authentication services,
   by exposing trusted cryptographic primitives from the browser.
   Web application developers will no longer have to create their
   own or use untrusted third-party libraries for cryptographic
   primitives. This will improve security on the Web. Some of the
   chartered use cases for this API include:

   http://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/
   http://www.w3.org/2011/11/webcryptography-charter
     * The ability to select credentials and sign statements can
       be necessary to perform high-value transactions such as
       those involved in finance, corporate security, and
       identity-related claims about personal data.
     * The provisioning and use of keys within Web applications
       can be used for scenarios such as increasing the security
       of user authentication and determining whether a particular
       device is authenticated for particular services.
     * The ability to check source integrity before executing
       Javascript code previously stored in local storage.

   Learn more about the Security Activity.

   http://www.w3.org/Security/Activity