Subject: [jose] updated JOSE charter sent to IESG

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:29:31 -0500

Below is the updated charter that has been submitted to the IESG for 
review. Thank you to all who helped with the process.

Regards,
Karen

Description of JOSE Working Group

JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) is a text format for the serialization 
of structured
data described in RFC 4627.  The JSON format is often used for 
serializing and
transmitting structured data over a network connection.  With the 
increased usage
of JSON in protocols in the IETF and elsewhere, there is now a desire to 
offer
security services such as encryption, digital signatures, message 
authentication
codes (MACs), and key representations for data that is being carried in 
JSON format.

Different proposals for providing such security services have already 
been defined
and implemented.  This Working Group's task is to standardize four kinds of
security services, integrity protection (signature and MAC), encryption, 
key
representations, and algorithm identifiers, in order to increase 
interoperability of
security features between protocols that use JSON.  The Working Group 
will base its
work on well-known message security primitives (e.g., CMS), and will 
solicit input
from the rest of the IETF Security Area to be sure that the security 
functionality in
the JSON format is correct.

This group is chartered to work on eight documents:

(1) A Standards Track document specifying how to apply JSON-structured 
integrity
protection to data, including (but not limited to) JSON data structures, 
including a
compact URL-safe representation.  "Integrity protection" includes 
public-key digital
signatures as well as symmetric-key MACs.

(2) A Standards Track document specifying how to apply a JSON-structured
encryption to data, including (but not limited to) JSON data structures, 
including a
compact URL-safe representation.

(3) A Standards Track document specifying how to encode public keys as JSON-
structured objects.

(4) A Standards Track document specifying algorithms and algorithm 
identifiers for
the previous three documents.

(5) A Standards Track document specifying how to apply JSON-structured 
integrity
protection to data, including (but not limited to) JSON data structures, 
using a JSON
representation supporting multiple recipients.  This document will build 
upon the
concepts and structures in (1).

(6) A Standards Track document specifying how to apply a JSON-structured
encryption to data, including (but not limited to) JSON data structures, 
using a JSON
representation supporting multiple recipients.  This document will build 
upon the
concepts and structures in (2).

(7) A Standards Track document specifying how to encode private and 
symmetric
keys as JSON-structured objects.  This document will build upon the 
concepts and
structures in (3).

(8) A Standards Track application document specifying a means of protecting
private and symmetric keys via encryption.  This document will build 
upon the
concepts and structures in (2) and (7).  This document may register 
additional
algorithms in registries defined by (4).

The working group may decide to address combinations of these goals in
consolidated document(s), in which case the concrete milestones for 
these goals will
be satisfied by the consolidated document(s).

Goals and Milestones

Jan 2012              Submit JSON object integrity document (1) as a WG 
item.

Jan 2012              Submit JSON object encryption document (2) as a WG 
item.

Jan 2012              Submit JSON key format document (3) as a WG item.

Jan 2012              Submit JSON algorithm document (4) as a WG item.

Feb 2013              Start Working Group Last Call on JSON object 
integrity document
(1).

Feb 2013              Start Working Group Last Call on JSON object 
encryption document
(2).

Feb 2013              Start Working Group Last Call on JSON key format 
document (3).

Feb 2013              Start Working Group Last Call on JSON algorithm 
document (4).

Mar 2013             Submit JSON object integrity document (1) to IESG for
consideration as Standards Track document.

Mar 2013             Submit JSON object encryption document (2) to IESG for
consideration as Standards Track document.

Mar 2013             Submit JSON key format document (3) to IESG for 
consideration as
Standards Track document.

Mar 2013             Submit JSON algorithm document (4) to IESG for 
consideration as
Standards Track document.

Mar 2013             Submit multi-recipient JSON object integrity 
document (5) as a WG
item.

Mar 2013             Submit multi-recipient JSON object encryption 
document (6) as a
WG item.

Mar 2013             Submit JSON private and symmetric key document (7) 
as a WG
item.

Mar 2013             Submit JSON key protection application document (8) 
as a WG item.

Jun 2013              Start Working Group Last Call on multi-recipient 
JSON object
integrity document (5).

Jun 2013              Start Working Group Last Call on multi-recipient 
JSON object
encryption document (6).

Jun 2013              Start Working Group Last Call on JSON private and 
symmetric key
document (7).

Jun 2013              Start Working Group Last Call on JSON key 
protection application
document (8).

Jul 2013               Submit multi-recipient JSON object integrity 
document (5) to IESG
for consideration as Standards Track document.

Jul 2013               Submit multi-recipient JSON object encryption 
document (6) to
IESG for consideration as Standards Track document.

Jul 2013               Submit JSON private and symmetric key document 
(7) to IESG for
consideration as Standards Track document.

Jul 2013               Submit JSON key protection application document 
(8) to IESG for
consideration as Standards Track document.