Subject: [jose] #4: Impossible to separate wrapped key from encrypted data

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 23:23:55 -0000

#4: Impossible to separate wrapped key from encrypted data

 Because the integrity check includes the wrapped key, all header
 parameters must be repeated for each recipient.  It is not possible to
 send ciphertext, then deliver wrapped keys (as in the XMPP use case),
 because the ciphertext must be different for each recipient (because the
 ICV is different).  In addition, in these asynchronous use cases, the
 sender must cache the plaintext of the message, rather than just the key
 (for wrapping to new recipients).  There has been no demonstrated security
 benefit to offset the added cost and risk.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
  [email-masked]        |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  json-web-    |    Version:
  encryption             |   Keywords:
 Severity:  Active WG    |
  Document               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/4>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>