Subject: [jose] #7: Algorithm identifiers/parameters incompatible with WebCrypto

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 23:24:02 -0000

#7: Algorithm identifiers/parameters incompatible with WebCrypto

 The way that algorithms and parameters are specified is semantically
 equivalent to the WebCrypto spec, but syntactically different.  This
 hinders interoperability.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
  [email-masked]        |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  json-web-    |    Version:
  algorithms             |   Keywords:
 Severity:  Active WG    |
  Document               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/7>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>

---

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 23:55:44 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 I believe that the consensus call to represent JOSE algorithms as simple
 strings, as recorded at http://www.ietf.org/mail-
 archive/web/jose/current/msg01219.html, is pertinent here.

 W3C WebCrypto is free to use different representations, should they
 choose.  It's a different level of specification than JOSE, as explicitly
 recognized by the WebCrypto high-level/low-level distinction.  It's not
 necessarily appropriate that the low-level algorithm identifiers be the
 same as those in the high-level spec, where simplifying assumptions are
 intentially being made.

 In any event, I don't believe that this is an issue that JOSE needs to
 solve.  I'd suggest that it be filed in the W3C WebCrypto issue tracker
 instead, if you'd like to see it be resolved.

  algorithms             |  Resolution:
 Keywords:               |

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/7#comment:1>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>

---

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 23:59:11 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 I do not believe the result of that consensus call applies here, since it
 predates the interaction between the two groups.

 The high/low distinction is meaningless.  JOSE provides octets, WebCrypto
 processes them.

 This is an issue for WebCrypto AND JOSE.  It takes two to compromise.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/7#comment:2>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>