Subject: [jose] #50: "cty" (content type) should hold a media type

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 08:06:50 -0000

#50: "cty" (content type) should hold a media type

 The "cty" header parameter should hold a media type, just like the HTTP
 Content-Type header field after which it is named. Omitting a
 "application/" prefix to save 12 bytes in common cases is ok.

 The current text says "cty" is OPTIONAL (which is fine) and that it "MAY
 be used to declare the type". Either this MAY is a repeat of the OPTIONAL
 or it hints that "cty" MAY also be used for something else (which is
 surely wrong). Either way the MAY should go.

 Using a media type to declare the meaning of some bytes is well-
 understood. "cty" shouldn't need to do this "in an application-specific
 manner" as the current text says.

 The current options to use something other than a media type (such as a
 registered string or a value from a Collision Resistant Namespace) offer
 no benefits over sticking with media types -- only confusion and
 complexity. The current text says "cty" values are case sensitive, but I
 don't think media types are (at least not the major/minor type portions).

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
  [email-masked]    |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  json-web-    |    Version:
  signature              |   Keywords:
 Severity:  -            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/50>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>