Subject: [jose] #94: Using Mathmatics and Equations promotes readability

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 20:20:35 -0000

#94: Using Mathmatics and Equations promotes readability

 The use of mathematical terms/functions would both shorten and clarify
 many of the sections and text in the document.

 Add new section

 2.1  Notation

 This section defines a set of functions and concepts used in the text

 A || B               Returns the concatenation of two octet strings A and
 B

 'V'                  Returns a octet
 Base64url(A)         Returns an octet string that encodes the value A
 using the URL safe character set from Section X of RFC XXXX [XXXX] with
 the padding characters removed.  Appendix Y provides an outline of this
 function and the function to reverse the process.

 JsonUtf8(X)          Returns an octet string that contains a JSON string
 from the object X using the UTF8 character set.

 NOTE:  While this document is written in such a way as to imply that the
 JsonUtf8 function will produce the same value every time that it is run on
 the same object, this is not true as JsonUtf8 is not a canonical encoding
 function like DER.  This means it will generally not produce the same
 structure if created by two different entities and my not do it for the
 same entity depending on how it is implemented.  For this reason, it is
 generally required that the value be cached the first time it is created
 and the cached value used.  For simplicity of understanding, this is not
 how the document is represented.

 In section 5.1 you get a series of replacements

 2. Let Encoded JWS Payload = Base64url( Payload )

 4.  Let Encoded JWS Header = Base64url( JsonUtf8( Protected Headers ))

 5.  Let ToBeSigned = Encoded JWS Header || '.' || Encoded JWS Payload

 5a.  Let Signature be the result of signing ToBeSigned with the
 appropriate key

 Replace Section 7.1

 7.1 JWS Compact Serialization

 The JWS Compact Serialization uses a URL-safe string for its
 representation.  The string is composed as:

     Base64url(JsonUtf8(Protected Headers)) || '.' || Base64url(Payload) ||
 '.' || Base64url(Signature)

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
  [email-masked] |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  json-web-    |    Version:
  signature              |   Keywords:
 Severity:  -            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://grenache.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/94>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>