Subject: [jose] #86: Section 7.2. JSON Web Key Set Parameters Registry

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 20:00:40 -0000

#86: Section 7.2. JSON Web Key Set Parameters Registry

 A. This section is missing any mention of criteria by which an expert is
 to determine if the registration makes any sense.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
  [email-masked] |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  json-web-    |    Version:
  key                    |   Keywords:
 Severity:  -            |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/86>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>

---

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 23:01:30 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Is there standard registration criteria language used in RFC that we could
 consider?  The current language is adapted from OAuth, with I believe
 adapted it from another RFC.  Or is the point of having experts that
 they're trusted to make these judgment calls?

  key                    |  Resolution:
 Keywords:               |

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/86#comment:1>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:37:43 -0700

There are at least two different sets of criteria that can be used at this
point that I can think of.

The first is the registration is complete and understandable.
Recommendations may be made to  the template to make it either more complete
or more understandable.  This is the basic criteria that is used for the
media types registry.

The second is that the item being registered makes sense.  This includes an
evaluation of what is being registered.  Is there a better way to do this?
Is this harmful to the JOSE world?  Do I think that the person doing the
application is a complete idiot?  This is similar to the criteria that is
being used for the TLS extension library.

There is a difference in the criteria that is being used in the two cases
about what type of evaluation is being done.  The first is basically a make
it understandable.  The second is basically a make it correct and usable and
kill those things which are bad for the world.

In the second case it makes sense to give a set of criteria that should be
used for it is harmful.  Given that there has been a long history of a
section of the group arguing that new things should not be created, this
would mean that the second is where I would expect the bar to be.  However,
if not stated then it can really on be the lower bar that is used.

I don't know how much the oauth list has been used to do registrations.
Other groups, such as the krb-wg, have found that without some type of
criteria it has been much more difficult to decide what should be registered
and what should not be registered.

Jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> jose issue tracker
> Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:02 PM
> To: [email-masked];
> [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [jose] #86: Section 7.2. JSON Web Key Set Parameters Registry
> 
they're
> trusted to make these judgment calls?
> 
> --
> -------------------------+----------------------------------------------
> -------------------------+---
> -------------------------+----------------------------------------------
> -------------------------+---
> 
> _______________________________________________
> jose mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/jose