Subject: [jose] Possible (minor) Errata for JWS / RFC7515

From: Brian Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 16:11:35 -0700

The recent discussion about whether or not to mandate using "crit" with the
"b64" header
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/jose/current/msg05427.html> inspired
me to look at the support for "crit" in my own implementation (which was,
ahem, somewhat lacking). In doing so I went to add the "Negative Test Case
for "crit" Header Parameter" from Appendix E
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7515#appendix-E> and I noticed that the
header name used in the text and the unencoded header is different than
what's in the encoded JWS. It's "http://example.invalid/UNDEFINED" in the
former and "http://example.com/UNDEFINED" in the latter. The intent of the
test case is pretty clear but it's still inconsistent. Is this the kind of
thing that should be an errata?

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7515#appendix-E>

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 16:16:41 -0800

Yes,  that is the type of thing I would file as an errata.  I would probably tag it as being editorial rather than technical.

Jim

From: jose [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Brian Campbell
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2015 3:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [jose] Possible (minor) Errata for JWS / RFC7515

The recent discussion about whether or not to mandate using  <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/jose/current/msg05427.html> "crit" with the "b64" header inspired me to look at the support for "crit" in my own implementation (which was, ahem, somewhat lacking). In doing so I went to add the "Negative Test Case for "crit" Header Parameter" from Appendix E <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7515#appendix-E>  and I noticed that the header name used in the text and the unencoded header is different than what's in the encoded JWS. It's "http://example.invalid/UNDEFINED" in the former and "http://example.com/UNDEFINED" in the latter. The intent of the test case is pretty clear but it's still inconsistent. Is this the kind of thing that should be an errata?