Subject: [jose] I-D Action: draft-ietf-jose-jws-signing-input-options-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 08:03:15 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Javascript Object Signing and Encryption Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : JWS Unencoded Payload Option
        Author          : Michael B. Jones
	Filename        : draft-ietf-jose-jws-signing-input-options-09.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2015-12-23

Abstract:
   JSON Web Signature (JWS) represents the payload of a JWS as a
   base64url encoded value and uses this value in the JWS Signature
   computation.  While this enables arbitrary payloads to be integrity
   protected, some have described use cases in which the base64url
   encoding is unnecessary and/or an impediment to adoption, especially
   when the payload is large and/or detached.  This specification
   defines a means of accommodating these use cases by defining an
   option to change the JWS Signing Input computation to not base64url-
   encode the payload.  This option is intended to broaden the set of
   use cases for which the use of JWS is a good fit.

   This specification updates RFC 7519 by stating that JSON Web Tokens
   (JWTs) MUST NOT use the unencoded payload option defined by this
   specification.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jose-jws-signing-input-options/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-jose-jws-signing-input-options-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-jose-jws-signing-input-options-09

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/