Subject: [jose] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC7515 (4554)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 07:02:14 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC7515, "JSON Web Signature (JWS)". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7515&eid=4554

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Editorial

Reported by: Simon <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2015-12-04
Held by: Kathleen Moriarty (IESG)

Section: 2

Original Text
-------------
   Base64url Encoding
      Base64 encoding using the URL- and filename-safe character set
      defined in Section 5 of RFC 4648 [RFC4648], with all 
      trailing \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'=\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'
      characters omitted (as permitted by Section 3.2) and without the
      inclusion of any line breaks, whitespace, or other additional
      characters.  Note that the base64url encoding of the empty octet
      sequence is the empty string.  (See Appendix C for notes on
      implementing base64url encoding without padding.)

Corrected Text
--------------
   Base64url Encoding
      Base64 encoding using the URL- and filename-safe character set
      defined in Section 5 of RFC 4648 [RFC4648], with all 
      trailing \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'=\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'
      characters omitted (as permitted by Section 3.2 of RFC 4648) and
      without the inclusion of any line breaks, whitespace, or other
      additional characters.  Note that the base64url encoding of the
      empty octet sequence is the empty string.  (See Appendix C for
      notes on implementing base64url encoding without padding.)

Notes
-----
>From WG: The normative section is correct and this is just an HTML markup from
txt issue.

Original note from submitter: in the html version https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7515
the link on \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Section 3.2\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" goes to Section 3.2 of RFC7515 but it should go 
to Section 3.2 of RFC4648. Not sure how the automatic link generation is made (or 
is it manual?), so i would propose explicitly saying \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Section 3.2 of RFC 
4648\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\".

--------------------------------------
RFC7515 (draft-ietf-jose-json-web-signature-41)
--------------------------------------
Title               : JSON Web Signature (JWS)
Publication Date    : May 2015
Author(s)           : M. Jones, J. Bradley, N. Sakimura
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Javascript Object Signing and Encryption
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG