Subject: [jose] I-D: draft-rundgren-json-canonicalization-scheme-02

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 04:12:28 +0100

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rundgren-json-canonicalization-scheme-02

Abstract:
    Cryptographic operations like hashing and signing depend on that the
    target data does not change during serialization, transport, or
    parsing.  By applying the rules defined by JCS (JSON Canonicalization
    Scheme), data provided in the JSON [RFC8259] format can be exchanged
    "as is", while still being subject to secure cryptographic
    operations.  JCS achieves this by building on the serialization
    formats for JSON primitives as defined by ECMAScript [ES6],
    constraining JSON data to the I-JSON [RFC7493] subset, and through a
    platform independent property sorting scheme.

    The intended audiences of this document are JSON tool vendors, as
    well as designers of JSON based cryptographic solutions.

////
In addition to some wordsmithing, this revision is supposed to make it
clearer that JCS is not a traditional canonicalization scheme working
on the text level, but a serialization scheme providing a canonical
form of JSON data conforming to a strict interpretation of I-JSON.

The serialization-only scheme makes implementation straightforward
and improves performance.

A list of Open Source implementations is also included in this revision.

Enjoy!

Anders