Subject: [karp] Submission of draft-ietf-karp-design-guide-02 for Informational RFC Publication

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:26:52 -0400

This  is the document shepherd writeup for the request by the KARP 
working group that draft-ietf-karp-design-guide-02 (Keying and 
Authentication for Routing Protocols (KARP) Design Guidelines) be 
published as an Informational RFC.

As per the proto writeup description:

1.a: Joel Halpern, co-chair of the KARP working group, is the document 
shepherd for this document.  He has personally reviewed the most current 
version of this document, and believes it is ready for forwarding to the 
IESG for publication.

1.b: The document has had sufficient review both inside and outside of 
the WG.  More reviews would have been appreciated, but I (and my 
co-chair) believe that sufficient review did occur.)

1.c: I have no concerns that specific areas were under-reviewed. There 
were sufficient routing and security reviews of the document.

1.d: I do not have any concerns or issues with this document.  During 
review, it was noted that the process used may evolve past what is 
described here.  It is believed that this is a good process, and a good 
documented baseline for the working group to work with.

1.e: There is solid WG consensus behind this document.  There may still 
be a small number of security experts who are uncomfortable with the 
basic approach, the document approach matches the agreement document in 
the charter, and re-confirmed recently on the WG email list.

1.f: There are no known threatened appeals or indications of extreme 
unhappiness.

1.g: The document passes id-nits checks.  There is a warning about page 
length, which will presumably resolved in final editing.

1.h: The document properly splits its references.  There are no blocking 
references.

1.i: There are no IANA issues in the document, and there is a 
placeholder section stating that.

1.j: There is no formal lanuage usage in the document.

1.k: Draft Writeup:

Technical Summary
     Existing IAB work recommends the tightening of the security of the 
core routing infrastructure.  This document defines a roadmap of 
protocol specification work for the use of modern cryptographic 
mechanisms and algorithms for message authentication in routing 
protocol.  It also defines a path towards the use of key management 
protocols in conjunction with routing protocol authentication mechanisms.

Working Group Summary:
     The working group support publication of this document as an 
informational document.  If there is significant evolution in practice 
based on experience with this, a revision may be published if that is 
deemed useful for future reference.

Document Quality:
     As a guideline document for future work, there is not a machine 
implementation.  It is to be noted that some folks have been bypassing 
the procedures in this document.  It is hoped that Tf approval of the 
document will provide support for better inter-working-group cooperation 
to make this process work well for all concerned.