Subject: [karp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 17:14:50 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols (KARP) Overview, Threats, and Requirements
	Author(s)       : Gregory Lebovitz
                          Manav Bhatia
	Filename        : draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-06.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2012-09-26

Abstract:
   Different routing protocols employ different mechanisms for securing
   protocol packets on the wire.  While most already have some method
   for accomplishing cryptographic message authentication, in many cases
   the existing methods are dated, vulnerable to attack, and employ
   cryptographic algorithms that have been deprecated.  The "Keying and
   Authentication for Routing Protocols" (KARP) effort aims to overhaul
   and improve these mechanisms.

   This document does not contain protocol specifications.  Instead, it
   defines the areas where protocol specification work is needed and a
   set of requirements for KARP design teams to follow.  RFC 6518,
   "Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols (KARP) Design
   Guidelines" is a companion to this document; KARP design teams will
   use them together to review and overhaul routing protocols.  These
   two documents reflect the input of both the IETF Security Area and
   IETF Routing Area in order to form a mutually agreeable work plan.

   This document has three main parts.  The first part provides an
   overview of the KARP effort.  The second part lists the threats from
   RFC 4593 (Generic Threats To Routing Protocols) that are in scope for
   attacks against routing protocol transport systems.  This includes
   any mechanisms built into the routing protocols themselves, to
   authenticate packets.  The third part enumerates the requirements
   that routing protocol specifications must meet when addressing those
   threats for RFC 6518's "Work Phase 1", the update to a routing
   protocol's existing transport security.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/