Subject: [KEYPROV] [issue32] Define Implementation Requirements for conformance

From: Andrea Doherty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:42:20 +0000

Andrea Doherty <[email-masked]> added the comment:

Per comments received from Sean Turner and Hannes, we should specify what are 
MUSTs for conformance to the document, and which Annexes are informational and 
which normative.  As Hannes noted, this will aid in making the document easier 
for implementers to consume.  Here are Sean's specific questions, which I think 
encapsulate all the conformance areas:

1 Which variant(s) is(are) the MUSTs for the client? for the server?  Does
someone claiming conformance to this document need to support 4, 2, and
1-pass or can they claim conformance for just 4, 2, or 1-pass?

2 (sec 4.3.1) Which of the 3 client authentication mechanism is the MUST and
which are the SHOULDs for the client? for the server?

3 (sec 4.5.1) What is the MUST DSKPP-PRF for the client? for the server? The
last sentence points to Annex E for realizations of the DSKPP-PRF but it is
unclear whether the appendix is normative and which realization is required.

4 (sec 4.7) What is the MUST algorithm for encryption of the pseudorandom
Nonces sent from the client?

5 Are Annexes A-E information or normative?  Please indicate as much.

To each point above, here are my comments.  Do you agree?

1. Variants that are MUSTS for the client are 4-pass or 2-pass (not sure if its 
ok to state it this way though), and for the server are 4-pass and 2-pass.
2. The MAC is a MUST, the cert is a MAY.
3. The appendix is normative, and the two realizations therein are MUSTs for 
implementation.
4. The MUST algorithm in sec 4.7 is XOR.  I think it was clear enough.
5. Some Annexes have been moved.  There are only now Appendix A (Integration 
with P11) and B (Example of DSKPP-PRF Realizations).  IMO Appendix A is 
Informative and B is Normative.

----------
assignedto:  -> andrea
status: unread -> chatting

_________________________________________________________
KEYPROV Roundup Issue Tracker <[email-masked]>
<http://www.tschofenig.priv.at:8080/keyprov/issue32>
_________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
KEYPROV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/keyprov