Subject: [KEYPROV] WG Action: Conclusion of Provisioning of Symmetric Keys (keyprov)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:18:07 -0800 (PST)

The Provisioning of Symmetric Keys (keyprov) working group in the Security
Area has concluded. The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Sean Turner.

The keyprov working group has completed its charter items, and is
officially closing. The mailing list will be retained for future
discussions involving protocols and formats for provisioning symmetric
keys.

The working group published three RFCs:

* RFC 6030, "Portable Symmetric Key Container (PSKC)";
* RFC 6031, "Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) Symmetric Key
  Package Content Type"; and
* RFC 6063, "Dynamic Symmetric Key Provisioning Protocol (DSKPP)"

I would like to thank all of the IETF participants who have contributed
to the various documents produced by the keyprov working group and to the
successful completion of these important deliverables. I would like to
explicitly recognize the working group chairs and the document editors.
Phillip Hallam-Baker and Hannes Tschofenig championed this effort, and
chaired the working group since it was established. The document editors
worked diligently to merge competing proposals and achieve working group
consensus. The document editors were (in alphabetical order):

* Andrea Doherty (6063)
* Russ Housley (6031)
* Philip Hoyer (6030)
* Salah Machani (6030 and 6063)
* Magnus Nystrom (6063)
* Mingliang Pei (6030 and 6063)
* Sean Turner (6031)

The keyprov mailing list will remain open and the list archive will be
retained.

- Tim Polk, Security AD

---

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 20:57:17 +0100

> discussions involving protocols and formats for provisioning symmetric

Why limit future KEYPROV discussions to symmetric keys?
The asymmetric schemes are way beyond the markets need.

http://www.digitalidnews.com/2010/11/18/national-strategy-delayed

Since FIPS201 cannot be provisioned in a reasonable way, NSTIC
fell not only due to political concerns but due to the fact that
the technology isn't ready.

Fortunately Apple of all companies is set to revolutionize provisioning:

http://www.smartcardstrends.com/det_atc.php?idu=13258

No third-party middleware, no awkward readers, no cables = no crap.
Only pure functionality that just about anybody can use.

Anders

> _______________________________________________
> KEYPROV mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/keyprov
>