Subject: IETF62 GSS API Next Generation (Kitten) WG Summary Report

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:44:27 -0600

Kitten met on Wednesday afternoon at IETF62.   There were approximately
30 attendees in the room plus we were joined by several participants
using a combination of Audio Stream and Jabber.

Presentations are available:

    http://web.mit.edu/jaltman/www/kitten/ietf62/

At the meeting we were happy to announce that
draft-ietf-kitten-2478bis-05 has been sent to the IESG and will be
in IETF Last Call until March 22.

There are two other drafts, draft-ietf-kitten-krb5-gssapi-prf-02 and
draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-prf-02 which are ready for WG Last Call.

Nico Williams updated the working group on the status of the drafts:

   	draft-ietf-kitten-extended-mech-inquiry
	draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-channel-bindings
	draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-domain-based-names 			
   	draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-extensions-iana
   	draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-store-cred
   	draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-v3-guide-to
   	draft-ietf-kitten-krb5-gssapi-domain-based-names
   	draft-ietf-kitten-stackable-pseudo-mechs

We need review from the group.

Sam Hartman updated us on the status of

	draft-ietf-kitten-gss-naming

One more draft will be issued to include feedback received and then
send it to WG Last Call.

The editors of the Java/C# drafts could not attend.  The chair provided
an update on drafts:

   	draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-rfc2853-update-for-csharp
   	draft-ietf-kitten-rfc2853bis

The current drafts contain changes to be applied to rfc 2853.  The next
step is to merge the two existing drafts with the contents of rfc 2853
and publish a new draft to obsolete rfc 2853.

The Milestones due this month on an initial draft of an informational 
document pulling together notes from the mail archive of proposed
clarifications to GSS API Version 2 Update 1.  Matt Peterson
volunteered to assign this task to a member of his staff.

The working group also held a discussion on the possibility of merging
the construction of mechanisms for GSS, SASL and EAP.

Action Items:

* Sam Hartman to submit revision to GSS Naming draft.

* Chair to ask  Martin Rex to review GSS Naming draft.

* Chair to issue WG Last Call on GSS Naming draft after review (if 
appropriate).

* Chair to ask Uri Blumenthal to review PRF drafts.

* Chair to issue WGLC for PRF drafts

* Chair to update milestones

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten

---

From: Matt Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:12:08 -0700

Greetings,

In a previous email Jeff suggested that I might want to make a quick 
introduction and write a little about why Vintela has is interested in 
Kitten.  

The short (marketing) version is that Vintela writes software for Unix 
(Linux, Solaris, HPUX, AIX and other flavors) that allows Unix to 
integrate with Microsoft backend solutions (Active Directory, Group 
Policy, SMS, and MOM).  Microsoft has made an equity investment in 
Vintela and  we've maintained a good relationship working with 
Microsoft in numerous accounts that deploy Unix software with Microsoft 
Solutions.

Vintela has always been interested in standards we've done quite a bit 
in with standards both in implementation and participation in standards 
bodies.  Our particular interest in Kitten is provide input and 
resources so that GSSAPI might become more common in application 
software.  Too many developers generate mechanism specific code which 
makes it  difficult to use applications with 3rd party security 
solutions (like Vintela's authentication product -- which contains a 
Microsoft-centric kerb GSSAPI implementation).

> volunteered to assign this task to a member of his staff.

I've asked David Leonard ([email-masked]) to become involved as a 
resource for Kitten.  Dave Leonard is based in Brisbane Australia.  
He's a Unix software engineer with good OSS development experience and 
the right personality for IETF work.  He's even volunteered to take on 
the task of look through the mail archives so that he can learn a bit 
of history and come up to speed on the issues.  Dleonard will also be 
the resource that will work on a draft that follow-up Sam's  
draft-ietf-kitten-gss-naming-01.txt if (or when) it is necessary.

On this note...   Dleonard is ready to start.  Jeff, can you please 
forward him the links to the archives, and the start/end dates so he 
doesn't browse a bunch irrelevant archive posts.   We'll also need a 
bit of direction on the best way to proceed with a possible follow-up 
to draft-ietf-kitten-gss-naming-01.txt

Cheers,

--
Matt Peterson