Subject: Off in the weeds

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:32:00 -0400

Speaking mostly as an individual, although as an AD, I do think the
current discussion is way out of scope.

Folks, I think we've gotten off in the weeds with this
internationalization discussion.
I'd really like to take a step back and calm down.

First, it's out of scope for now.  Jeff wants to get other work done
first.  Jeff agreed with him and no one disagreed.  So, assuming that
we have work we can do without thinking about internationalization, we
should do so.

Otherwise we should recharter.

But when we approach internationalization,we should consider all the
options, their pros and cons.  We should get agreement on a neutral
description of what the possibilities are (even possibilities that
some believe have fatal flaws) and what their pros/cons are.  We're
not done with hammering out the pros/cons until Nico and martin agree
that we've found a neutral description of them.

Options I see include:

1) locale-based handling of the current APIs.  I.E. an incompatible
   change in the C bindings--this would need to be a new version
   because it's sure not GSSAPI V2.

2)   New interfaces.

3) Pretend names have always been octet strings at the API level.
   Name types define the character set of the name.  Define new UTF8
   variants of the names.  Define a way to deal with display name.  Do
   something about display status.  This may be an incompatible
   change; argue about that.

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:41:58 -0500

Well, I don't have time for this work right now, and I am not in any
hurry.  Please re-charter the WG to include I18N work as I now believe
we have more than a clarification to make because not all implementors
did the same thing.

Perhaps after Montreal I'll put together a detailed proposal.

Nico
--