Subject: [kitten] Document Action: 'Moving DIGEST-MD5 to Historic' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-kitten-digest-to-historic-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 10:31:03 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Moving DIGEST-MD5 to Historic'
  (draft-ietf-kitten-digest-to-historic-04.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Common Authentication Technology Next
Generation Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Stephen Farrell and Sean Turner.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-kitten-digest-to-historic/

Technical Summary

The DIGEST-MD5 Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
mechanism has known security and interoperability problems. This
memo recommends that RFC 2831 be moved to Historic status, and that
the DIGEST-MD5 mechanism be marked as OBSOLETE in the IANA
Registry.

Working Group Summary

This document is a product of the SASL and KITTEN Working Groups
(which merged during the lifetime of the document).

Document Quality

This document passed a Working Group Last Call in the SASL and
KITTEN Working Groups with no major concerns. 

Personnel

Tom Yu ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd
Stephen Farrell ([email-masked]) is the responsible AD.