Subject: Re: [kitten] I-D Action: draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-saml-ec-12.txt

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 16:12:03 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014, Cantor, Scott wrote:

> Apologies for the 9 month delay, but I've finally produced a new draft in
> response to comments from Sam and others back in March (thread name
> comments on draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-saml-ec, started by Sam).
>
> Most importantly, this corrects a normative error by changing the
> dependency on the 4161 enctype names into numbers.
>
> I attempted to address all of the comments in one form or another, but
> it's been long enough that this needs a fresh review anyway.

Thanks for the updates.

Looking at the diff, I get the sense that for the service names, you want
people to use the text that would be input to gss_import_name() -- the
actual gss_name_t should not be involved in processing at all.  It might
be helpful to call that out.  (It also means that applications will not
need to know about the GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE symbol, though you
probably still want to include that string in the discussion in the text.)

Skimming through the document itself, "without relying on flawed
commercial TLS infrastructure" may be true, but may also engender some
objections.  I make no recommendation for or against the text at this
time.

Nothing really jumps out at me from that, so it seems ready for a more
in-depth review as far as I can tell.  I'm not sure how soon I'll have
time for that, of course...

-Ben

---

From: "Cantor, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 21:26:31 +0000

>probably still want to include that string in the discussion in the text.)

That sounds correct to me. I'm going for the minimum of possible impedance 
mismatches.

>time for that, of course...

Thank you. I'll file this proposed change for now and include it when I do 
another round of changes.

-- Scott