Subject: [kitten] Registry entry format for draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-extensions-iana

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 18:14:41 -0500

draft-ietf-kitten-gssapi-extensions-iana awaits a WGLC, and since -10 is
expired, the WGLC awaits submission of -11.

Since I'd like to generate them for all the GSS symbols in the various
RFCs to submit together with the I-D when it got to the IANA review
stage of publication... I needed to know what to generate.

And we don't specify much of a format for registration entries.

Dear IANA: what sort of submission format would you prefer?  Plain text
with lines of "field: value" (and multi-line values continued with
leading space), tables in xml2rfc-schema XML, text tables as formatted
by xml2rfc, JSON, something else?

Now's the time to be picky!  Before I put much effort into generating
the seed registry :)

Thanks,

Nico
--

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 19:06:21 -0500

A sample registration entry in JSON format:

  {
    "binding_of": "GSS_Accept_sec_context",
    "bindings": "C",
    "description": "Accept a security context",
    "object_type": "Function",
    "reference": "RFC2744",
    "registration_rules": "IESG Approval",
    "registration_type": "Instance",
    "status": "Registered",
    "symbol_name": "gss_accept_sec_context Accept a security context"
  }

The "reference" field could be an array, either always or if there are
multiple references.  It could be absent or null or [] (empty array) if
there are no references, whichever is preferable.

Fields that are not applicable should be left out.

Comments?

Nico
--

---

From: t.p. <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 09:31:51 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nico Williams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 1:06 AM
> Fields that are not applicable should be left out.

Plain text.

It is the default, the normal presentation for the IETF, the one that is
best understood.  And it is the one that JSON use for their IANA
entries, such as
http://www.iana.org/assignments/jose/jose.xhtml#web-encryption-compressi
on-algorithms

If it is good enough for JSON, it is good enough for us.

Tom Petch