Subject: [kitten] RFC 7628 on A Set of Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) Mechanisms for OAuth

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 21:56:17 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7628

        Title:      A Set of Simple Authentication 
                    and Security Layer (SASL) Mechanisms
                    for OAuth 
        Author:     W. Mills, T. Showalter, H. Tschofenig
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      21
        Characters: 46408
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-kitten-sasl-oauth-23.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7628

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7628

OAuth enables a third-party application to obtain limited access to a
protected resource, either on behalf of a resource owner by
orchestrating an approval interaction or by allowing the third-party
application to obtain access on its own behalf.

This document defines how an application client uses credentials
obtained via OAuth over the Simple Authentication and Security Layer
(SASL) to access a protected resource at a resource server.  Thereby,
it enables schemes defined within the OAuth framework for
non-HTTP-based application protocols.

Clients typically store the user's long-term credential.  This does,
however, lead to significant security vulnerabilities, for example,
when such a credential leaks.  A significant benefit of OAuth for
usage in those clients is that the password is replaced by a shared
secret with higher entropy, i.e., the token.  Tokens typically
provide limited access rights and can be managed and revoked
separately from the user's long-term password.

This document is a product of the Common Authentication Technology Next Generation Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC