Subject: Connect Speed AVP

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:54:54 -0500

An issue I forgot to cover in the town meeting is clarification of what
a Connect Speed of 0 means. Certainly, one should be liberal in
acceptance of this value. However, it would be better to define (1) if
it is legal to send the value, and (2) what is really means if it is
sent.

Some of my thoughts on this:

The Rx Connect Speed AVP MUST be sent, which I do not think should be
changed. Zero bandwidth could simply be defined as the value that should
be sent if/when the LAC is unable to determine the connect speed
properly.

That said, there is an edge case where perhaps zero is valid. e.g. a
Hybrid network where one stream is over the VPN an the other over
another path (such as a satellite or cable return feed). 

Input appreciated.

- Mark

---

From: David Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:31:38 -0500

We implement LAC in the host without any WAN devices.
The PPP/L2TP is on stack.
The value for connect speed avp is set to 0 currently,
since it is not communication speed but function call speed.
--- David