Subject: RE: L2TP over IPSec

From: "David Wong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:22:33 -0500

The client is a Linux workstation, which currently reads in the authentication
and encryption key values from a text file. So, right now it only supports
manual keying... I guess what I'm also confused about is while installing the
Certificate Authority service, I'm asked to enter in the name/address of the
root authority to request a certificate from (even though I've said that the
machine itself will be the root authority).

"gedavis" <[email-masked]> on 01/30/2000 10:11:11 PM

To:   David Wong/Bos/Teradyne@Teradyne, [email-masked]
cc:   [email-masked]

Subject:  RE: L2TP over IPSec

David,
I have been working some with the MC-CA and what manner of client are you
referring to? router? pc? maybe I can help

Gerald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
David Wong
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2000 2:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: L2TP over IPSec

I was curious what types of access routers/configurations people have been
successful with configuring/testing L2TP over IPSec.

Also, has anyone used a Cisco1600 series (1605) or a Win2000 Server as the
LNS
while running L2TP over IPSec? The 1605 with the 12.05(T), 56-bit encryption
image does not seem to like an encrypted ICMP Echo Request I send to it in
transport mode (something about bad pad length). I know the Free S/WAN
implementation of IPSec will actually reply back to an encrypted Echo
Request
that I send it.

In terms of using Windows 2000, I've tried installing the Certificate
Authority
service on the machine, without luck, and even if I were to, it's not clear
to
me how to use a certificate if the client I'm using needs the authentication
and
encryption key information in text form.