Subject: For the record

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:55:05 -0400

The bug was in Netscape Communicator 4.7

Sorry for the spam

- Mark

---

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 14:26:27 -0400

Craig Fox wrote:
> 
> "W. Mark Townsley" wrote:
> >
> What was the bug?  I have used 4.7 for six months now.

OK, several people have asked, so here it is.

Netscape Messenger got into some state where it thought my disk was full
(I actually had over 2 GB free) when writing to the Sent Mail folder.
When trying to write it would fail, with an error message stating that
my disk was full, my mail was NOT sent, and that the Send operation
would need to be retried after the problem was corrected. Further, the
mail remained in my Unsent Mail folder. Given that there was some
catastrophic file system failure, I suppose I can understand not moving
my messages out of the Unsent folder, but the error message was clearly
inaccurate. 

I went through Windows reboots and Netscape restarts in various
combinations. Each time (on netscape exit and startup), I was asked if I
wished to send the messages, each time it failed saying that the
messages were not sent. Finally, I got the right combination of reboots
and restarts, the messages went out the door OK and were copied to the
Sent Mail folder without error.

It was not until after that I realized each time I answered yes to the
retry, a copy of all messages in my Unsent Folder had been sent. I had a
feeling that this might be happening, but put too much faith and trust
in the error message was reported.

Hope you only get one copy of this.

- Mark

> Craig