Subject: outgoing call req

From: Sridhar Malarothu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 23:12:14 +0530

Hi,

   In RFC 2661, it is said that the LNS may send outgoing call
reuqest to LAC. Can any one explain the scenarios in which this
is send by LNS.

   Can LNS and LAC be present on the same system simultaneously ?     

Best Regards
Sridhar

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:08:54 -0400 (EDT)

> reuqest to LAC. Can any one explain the scenarios in which this

Dial on demand and dial-back (callback) are two common scenarios.
With dial-on-demand, you have a dummy interface route on the LNS
system.  When packets arrive on that interface, you initiate a call to
the remote network.  With callback, the user calls in, provides
credentials (and perhaps a callback number or location identifier),
and then disconnects so the LNS can call him back.

>    Can LNS and LAC be present on the same system simultaneously ?     

Sure.

-- 
James Carlson, Internet Engineering       <[email-masked]>
SUN Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677
"PPP Design and Debugging" --- http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp

---

From: Srinivasan Seshadri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:20:16 -0400

The other scenario could be that a corporate web service is being accessed from
a CPE (Customer Premise Equipment) side. For ex, in the following situation,

  CPE ------ Central Office ---------
ISPa------------Internet----------ISPb---------Corporate End...
                                     (LAC)
(LNS)                                         (LNS)          (LAC)
A call from CPE to the corporate end will get routed via ISPb, from which the
LNS can trigger an outgoing call request to the LAC (once when the data packets
are to be sent to LAC), if it ever wants to aggregate multiple user side
requests to the corporate....

--Srinivasan.E.S.