Subject: RE: outgoing call req

From: "Verma, Rohit (US - Chicago)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 05:43:00 -0700

Your scenario confuses me a little bit. Where will you be doing NCP. And I
am not sure why you need 2 LAC LNS pairs. 
Can you put more words or a more detailed picture to your scenario.
Why can the CPE not dial directly into the LAC for ISPb. Are their any
particular configuration/administrative reasons. What are you trying to
accomplish in the scenario.
Regards
-rv
-----Original Message-----
From: Srinivasan Seshadri [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 4:20 PM
To: James Carlson
Cc: Sridhar Malarothu; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: outgoing call req

The other scenario could be that a corporate web service is being accessed
from
a CPE (Customer Premise Equipment) side. For ex, in the following situation,

  CPE ------ Central Office
---------ISPa------------Internet----------ISPb---------Corporate End...
                  (LAC)
(LNS)                                         (LNS)          (LAC)
A call from CPE to the corporate end will get routed via ISPb, from which
the
LNS can trigger an outgoing call request to the LAC (once when the data
packets
are to be sent to LAC), if it ever wants to aggregate multiple user side
requests to the corporate....

--Srinivasan.E.S.

James Carlson wrote:

> Sridhar Malarothu writes:
> >    In RFC 2661, it is said that the LNS may send outgoing call
> > reuqest to LAC. Can any one explain the scenarios in which this
> > is send by LNS.
>
> Dial on demand and dial-back (callback) are two common scenarios.
> With dial-on-demand, you have a dummy interface route on the LNS
> system.  When packets arrive on that interface, you initiate a call to
> the remote network.  With callback, the user calls in, provides
> credentials (and perhaps a callback number or location identifier),
> and then disconnects so the LNS can call him back.
>
> >    Can LNS and LAC be present on the same system simultaneously ?
>
> Sure.
>
> --
> James Carlson, Internet Engineering       <[email-masked]>
> SUN Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
> MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677
> "PPP Design and Debugging" --- http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp

---

From: Srinivasan Seshadri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:41:21 -0400

The scenario that has been pictured was more related to a broadband
access case, where an end to end access from an user site to the
corporate server, which hosts certain web services, is shown. Assume,
the user site is connected to a DSLAM (DSL access multiplexor) through
the DSL network on the access side and the DSLAM is connected to the ISP
for the data transport. A pair of LAC & LNS would be present in the
DSLAM and the ISP devices respectively. A PPP session, which originates
at the user site would transit via the LAC (thro the L2TP tunnel) and
get terminated at the LNS with the ISP. From there, the datagram gets
routed through the Internet to the destination, which in this scneario,
would be the corporate site. 
Also, assume that the corporate site is also present in the DSL network
as mentioned in the above case. Now, we can safely assume a LNS-LAC pair
on this network also. This is where, the outgoing call would be
initiated from the LNS to the LAC to forward the datagram over the L2TP
session. Hope this is clear now. Won't this be a likely scenario? 

--Srinivasan.E.S. 

"Verma, Rohit (US - Chicago)" wrote: 

Your scenario confuses me a little bit. Where will you be doing NCP. And
I am not sure why you need 2 LAC LNS pairs. 
Can you put more words or a more detailed picture to your scenario. 
Why can the CPE not dial directly into the LAC for ISPb. Are their any
particular configuration/administrative reasons. What are you trying to
accomplish in the scenario. 

Regards 
-rv 
-----Original Message----- 
From: Srinivasan Seshadri [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 4:20 PM 
To: James Carlson 
Cc: Sridhar Malarothu; [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: outgoing call req 

The other scenario could be that a corporate web service is being
accessed from 
a CPE (Customer Premise Equipment) side. For ex, in the following
situation, 

                  (LAC) 
(LNS)                                         (LNS)          (LAC) 
A call from CPE to the corporate end will get routed via ISPb, from
which the 
LNS can trigger an outgoing call request to the LAC (once when the data
packets 
are to be sent to LAC), if it ever wants to aggregate multiple user side

--Srinivasan.E.S. 

> "PPP Design and Debugging" ---
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp
<http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp>