Subject: RE: outgoing call req

From: "Verma, Rohit (US - Chicago)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:53:33 -0500

If a host on the network initiates a connection to a host outside a LAN. The
request may be serviced by an LNS as an outbound call to be placed out of a
modem bank attached to the LAC.

10.0.0.10                                                    192.0.0.10
+------+    +------+            +----+          +-----+       +------+
|Host 2|----|Dialup|----PSTN----|LAC |---ISP----| LNS |--LAN--|Host 1|
+------+    +------+            +----+          +-----+       +------+

In the above scenario Host 1 sends a connection initiation request to
10.0.0.10 the LNS detects it and realizes that it needs to request a tunnel
to the LAC. The LAC dials out on behalf of the LNS to the remote site.
Hope this helps.
Yes the LNS and the LAC may be on the same system simultaneously, I am not
sure of the scenario you will have them on other than a Tunnel Switch. When
incoming tunnels are switched to a second set of incoming tunnels.

Regards
-rv
-----Original Message-----
From: Sridhar Malarothu [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 1:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: outgoing call req

Hi,

   In RFC 2661, it is said that the LNS may send outgoing call
reuqest to LAC. Can any one explain the scenarios in which this
is send by LNS.

   Can LNS and LAC be present on the same system simultaneously ?     

Best Regards
Sridhar