Subject: draft-ietf-l2tpext-mcast-00.txt

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:40:43 -0400

The WG has asked that this be published as an experimental RFC. A few
questions/comments.

1) Why experimental as opposed to Standards Track (the document
   defines new AVPs and the procedures for using them)? Lack of
   general support?  Outright hostility to certain aspects?

2) This document appears to have one or even two normative references
   to other IDs. Specifically:

>    The procedure used is described in [SVCTYPE], with the following 
>    particularities:   
> 
> 
>    [SVCTYPE]    D. McPherson, S. Nanji, "L2TP Service Type",   
>                 <draft-ietf-l2tpext-svctype-01.txt>, Work in Progress,  
>                 April 2001.

>    The router MUST also be Designated Router for the M-IGP running in 
>    the network, or be IGMP proxy (as defined in [PROXY]). 
> 
>    [PROXY]      W. Fenner, "IGMP-based Multicast Forwarding ("IGMP       
>                 proxying")", <draft-ietf-idmr-proxy-00.txt>, Work in  
>                 Progress, April 2001.  

Are these normative references? If so, this document needs to wait for
the others before being published. What is the status of these other
documents?
   
Thomas

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:21:08 -0700 (PDT)

>    general support?  Outright hostility to certain

The reason for suggesting experimental was simply that
there was very little interest at the time outside of
the author bringing it to the group, but the work
seemed interesting. If it caught on with others, we
thought we would move it to standards track. The
concept might be objectional to some, but these
opinions were not raised publicly that I know of.

> the others before being published. What is the

The service type document has been rolled into the new
l2tp base spec. I do not know of the status of the
IGMP document.

> Thomas

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! Messenger
http://im.yahoo.com