Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:48:47 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Provisioning Models and Endpoint Identifiers in L2VPN Signaling
	Author(s)	: E. Rosen, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling-03.txt
	Pages		: 29
	Date		: 2005-2-21
	
There are a number of different kinds of "Provider Provisioned Layer
   2 VPNs" (L2VPNs).  The different kinds of L2VPN may have different
   "provisioning models", i.e., different models for what information
   needs to be configured in what entities.  Once configured, the
   provisioning information is distributed by a "discovery process".
   When the discovery process is complete, a signaling protocol is
   automatically invoked.  The signaling protocol sets up the mesh of
   Pseudowires (PWs) that form the (virtual) backbone of the L2VPN.  Any
   PW signaling protocol needs to have a method which allows each PW
   endpoint to identify the other; thus a PW signaling protocol will
   have the notion of an endpoint identifier.  The semantics of the
   endpoint identifiers which the signaling protocol uses for a
   particular type of L2VPN are determined by the provisioning model.
   This document specifies a number of L2VPN provisioning models, and
   further specifies the semantic structure of the endpoint identifiers
   required by each provisioning model.  It discusses the way in which
   the endpoint identifiers are distributed by the discovery process,
   especially when the discovery process is based upon the Border
   Gateway Protocol (BGP).  It then specifies how the endpoint
   identifiers are carried in the two signaling protocols that are used
   to set up PWs, the Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) and the Layer 2
   Tunneling Protocol (L2TPv3).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.