Subject: Open Issues on: draft-nadeau-l2vpn-vpls-mib

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:40:21 -0800

During the meeting I agreed to post these

open issues to the list. Please send comments

ASAP. If I do not hear comments by November 20

at 12PM GMT, I will *not* make these additions to the

document.

1. Should the MIB modules be read-write or read-only?

2. Add number of attachment circuits per VSI.

3. Add PwBindTable (contains PWs bound to VSI)

4. Add VsiPerfTable (contains number of PWs in VSI, numberLearnedMac)

5. Define vplsOperStatus: current values are unknown, up or down.  
Propose  adding a value 'partialMesh'. Definition of operStatus of  
VSI: 1 or more PW + 1 or more ACs up == OperStatusUp.

6. Proposed addition to vplsStatusTable to indicate the number of  
Mesh Peers in this VPLS instance.
	
7. vplsSpokePeerCount: proposed addition to vplsStatusTable to   
indicate the number of Spoke Peers in this VPLS instance.
8. The VPLS LDP Qualified Learning/Unqualified Learning mode on the  
VSI is current read-only.

9. Get IEEE 802.x objects we must look in the IEEE/IETF Bridge MIB.

10. vplsMacAging/Learning: these  are currently mandatory  
requirements in the MIB even though they are not part of the standard  
itself. Remove them and Rely on IEEE/IETF Bridge MIB or put them in  
an optional group?

11. vplsACBindTable: proposed table to bind Attachment Circuits to  a  
VPLS

12. Add watermarks for MaxMacAddrs vplsMacLearning,  
vplsDiscardUnknownDest, forwarding table size.

13. Add vplsPwConfigType that maintains configured auto-discovery  
method.

---

From: Dave McDysan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:35:57 -0500

Tom,

Below are comments you requested.

Dave 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Thomas D. Nadeau [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 4:40 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Open Issues on: draft-nadeau-l2vpn-vpls-mib
> 
> 

* Important. Should be Read-write so an OSS can direcctly control a network
element.

* Please include. This would be useful as a quick check that the proper
number of customers are attached.

* Please include. This would be useful as a quick check that the proper
number of PWs to interconnect VSIs are configured. This would be important
until

* Important. The number of learned MAC addresses is an important resource.
Being able to keep track of it and even compare to a threshold would be a
very useful operational function.

* The definition above appears to refer to "partial mesh" and not "up." See
item 3 and 6. Vplsoperstatus should not be "up" unless there is a "full
mesh" of PWs between VSIs.

6. Proposed addition to vplsStatusTable to indicate the number of Mesh Peers
in this VPLS instance.

* Important. See item 5. How would this relate to item 3?

* Please add.

8. The VPLS LDP Qualified Learning/Unqualified Learning mode on the VSI is
current read-only.

* Please make read-write.

* Please provide a reference to this MIB(s). Adding this to the comments
would be most helpful. As you mentioned in the meeting, there is not a need
to replicate information. 

10. vplsMacAging/Learning: these  are currently mandatory requirements in
the MIB even though they are not part of the standard itself. Remove them
and Rely on IEEE/IETF Bridge MIB or put them in an optional group?

* See 9.

11. vplsACBindTable: proposed table to bind Attachment Circuits to  a VPLS

* Important. Useful in provisioning/ diagnostics.

12. Add watermarks for MaxMacAddrs vplsMacLearning, vplsDiscardUnknownDest,
forwarding table size.

* Important. Would the watermark generate a trap or notification?

13. Add vplsPwConfigType that maintains configured auto-discovery method.

* Important. Please add.

---

From: "MEDIRATTA Rohit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 03:46:20 -0600

Hi Tom,
 Please see my comments inline with Rm]

-Rohit

1. Should the MIB modules be read-write or read-only?
Read-write would be more beneficial.

2. Add number of attachment circuits per VSI.
Rm] Useful along with the AC table.

4. Add VsiPerfTable (contains number of PWs in VSI, numberLearnedMac)
Rm] If we have a count of number of mesh/spoke peers (as below), do we
need a count for total number of PWs ?  We could add the numLearntMac's
in the vplsStatus table.

5. Define vplsOperStatus: current values are unknown, up or down.  
Propose  adding a value 'partialMesh'. Definition of operStatus of
VSI: 1 or more PW + 1 or more ACs up == OperStatusUp.
Rm] The present definition would have to be changed to accommodate
H-Vpls. 

6. Proposed addition to vplsStatusTable to indicate the number of Mesh
Peers in this VPLS instance.
Rm] I agree

Rm] I agree

8. The VPLS LDP Qualified Learning/Unqualified Learning mode on the VSI
is current read-only.

9. Get IEEE 802.x objects we must look in the IEEE/IETF Bridge MIB.
Rm] We probably need to add a table in Vpls-MIB.

10. vplsMacAging/Learning: these  are currently mandatory requirements
in the MIB even though they are not part of the standard itself. Remove
them and Rely on IEEE/IETF Bridge MIB or put them in an optional group?

Rm] I agress

Rm] This already exists.