Subject: [Lager] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules-00.txt

From: Asmus Freytag <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 11:14:10 -0800

Never expected the subject of variants to be as complicated when I 
started out in this.

I'm hoping this will present some needed guidance beyond what is in RFC 
7940.

A./

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules-00.txt
Date: 	Tue, 27 Dec 2016 10:59:14 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Asmus Freytag <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Asmus Freytag and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules
Revision:	00
Title:		Variant Rules
Document date:	2016-12-27
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		18
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-freytag-lager-variant-rules-00

Abstract:
    This document gives guidance on designing well-behaved Label
    Generation Rulesets (LGRs) that support variant labels.  Typical
    examples of labels and LGRs are IDNs and zone registration policies
    defining permissible IDN labels.  Variant labels are labels that are
    either visually or semantically indistinguishable from an applied for
    label and are typically delegated together with the applied-for
    label, or permanently reserved.  While [RFC7940] defines the
    syntactical requirements for specifying the label generation rules
    for variant labels, additional considerations apply that ensure that
    the label generation rules are consistent and well-behaved in the
    presence of variants.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 22:32:02 -0500

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 11:14:10AM -0800, Asmus Freytag wrote:
> Never expected the subject of variants to be as complicated when I started
> out in this.

I think it worth noting that some of your colleagues were more
pessimistic .  On the other hand, you are most determined.  So good on
you, and many happy returns!

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Asmus Freytag <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 20:25:02 -0800

> you, and many happy returns!
Thanks, Andrew.

 From a purely practical point of view, I think there's something that 
you could
call "best practice" for LGR development and I believe the combined 
efforts of
the community and my colleagues on the Integration Panel are helping to
discover what works and what doesn't in that respect.

The document represents my attempt to capture what we've learned when it
comes to the mechanics of defining variants.

A./

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 07:51:10 +0100

> On 29 Dec 2016, at 04:32, Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

+1

   Patrik