Subject: Re: FW: Result Code for LDAP Controls Draft <draft-armijo-ldap-control-error-01.txt>

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:44:05 -0600

Let's use 22 (decimal) in the controlError draft for now, and we'll push the change into 2251bis.

Jim

>>> "Asaf Kashi" <[email-masked]> 8/21/01 3:31:22 PM >>>
As suggested below I would like to get a result code number reserved for
the controlError draft before I resubmit it and go through a last call.
Is there a particular process to follow here or should I just choose one
and ask you to enter it into your revision of 2251?  This is in section
4.1.10 as part of the LDAPResult construct.

Thanks,
Asaf

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Wahl [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 5:56 PM
To: Asaf Kashi
Cc: Roland Hedberg; Patrik Faltstrom; [email-masked] 
Subject: Re: Result Code for LDAP Controls Draft
<draft-armijo-ldap-control-error-01.txt>

> Asaf Kashi wrote:
> 
> Current question before I submit this revision:
> I also wanted to get the result code number reserved for this error in

> the IETF.  How do I go about doing that?  The structure is in the 
> draft right now and lists most if not all known current error numbers.

> Who would be the right contact person for getting the next available 
> error number reserved?

There is no IANA registry for LDAP error numbers.  Instead, the LDAP
errors are recorded in the update to RFC 2251 currently being progressed
in the 
LDAPBIS working group as draft-sermersheim-ldapbis-rfc2251-00.txt

In that draft Jim has written regarding the result code:

   <Editor's Note: This section should be reconciled with the result
   codes draft and moved to an appendix. Thus, not modified at this
   time>

Hote that I think he is referring there to expired
draft-just-ldapv3-rescodes. Thus I recommend talking with Jim
Sermersheim and the LDAPBIS working group chairs about how this
reconciliation will happen and how the error code for LDAP control
indication should be incorporated.

Hlpe this helps,

Mark Wahl
Sun Microsystems Inc.