Subject: Protocol Action: Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3): Technical Specification to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:48:17 -0400

The IESG has approved 'Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (v3):
Technical Specification' <draft-ietf-ldapbis-ldapv3-ts-01.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the LDAP (v3)
Revision Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and
Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
The specification for the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol version
3 (LDAPv3) nominally comprises eight RFCs which were issued in two dis-
tinct subsets at separate times -- RFCs 2251 through 2256 first, then
RFCs 2829 and 2830 following later.

RFC 2251 through 2256 do not mandate the implementation of any
satisfac- tory authentication mechanisms and hence were published with
an "IESG Note" discouraging implementation and deployment of LDAPv3
clients or servers implementing update functionality until a Proposed
Standard for mandatory authentication in LDAPv3 is published.

RFC 2829 was subsequently published in answer to the IESG Note.

The purpose of this document is to explicitly specify the set of RFCs
comprising LDAPv3, and formally address the IESG Note through explicit
inclusion of RFC 2829.

Working Group Summary

When all the RFC's mentioned above were published, there was consensus
on creation of this document tying them all together.

Protocol Quality

The document was reviewed for the IESG by Patrik Faltstrom.

Note to RFC-Editor:

Please replace "Patrick Falstrom" with "Patrik Faltstrom"