Subject: Re: Specifying non-tcp transports referrals

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:37:36 -0600

I agree. I'll plan on reflecting this in a future edit if no one
disagrees.

Jim

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]> 06/27/03 5:35 PM >>>
At 04:01 PM 6/27/2003, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>But read a little further:
>>   URLs for servers implementing the LDAP protocol are written
>according
>>   to [9].  
>
>(where [9] is [LDAPURL])
>
>This means that URLs pointing to LDAP servers, follow [LDAPURL]. And if
>[LDAPURL] is only used for TCP/IP... Well, it means any URL to an LDAP
>server means TCP is used. This is too limiting (in my view).

Likely the above needs to be clarified with something like:
        URLs for servers implementing LDAP and accessible via
        TCP/IP (v4 or v6) are written according to [LDAPURL].

I think ldap:// needs to be viewed as providing a LDAP/TCP/IP
service locator and that LDAP over other transports locators
will use other schemes (e.g., ldaps://, ldapi://, ldap.sctp://,
or whatever) defined in other documents.  And Referrals and
Continuations may contain non-LDAP URLs (e.g., xdap:// ?).

Kurt

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:25:29 -0400

I also agree with this. Kurt said it very clearly. I think that was the 
original intent back when LDAPv3 was created.

-Mark