Subject: RE: ldapbis WG Last Call on ldapbis-syntaxes, ldapbis-strprep

From: "Ramsay, Ron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:56:51 +1000

Surely you can't do strprep on PrintableString? The choice of characters is so limited that there can't be any translation?

-----Original Message-----
From: Hallvard B Furuseth [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, 25 June 2003 05:29
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: ldapbis WG Last Call on ldapbis-syntaxes, ldapbis-strprep

RL 'Bob' Morgan writes:
> A reminder that the Last Call period on these drafts ends this Wednesday,
> June 25.

Whoops.  Thanks for the reminder.  I've been sitting on this for too
long:

I have some problems with ldapbis-strprep.  I posted some of them before
to the strmatch draft, but I don't think I got a reply.

> 2. String Preparation
>  The following six-step process SHALL be applied to each presented and
>  attribute value in preparation for string match rule evaluation.

Not to octet strings.  Do they count as _string_ match?

> 2.2. Map
>
>  All other control code points (e.g., Cc) or code points with a control
>  function (e.g., Cf) are mapped to nothing.
>
>  ZERO WIDTH SPACE (U+200B) is mapped to nothing.  All other code points
>  with Separator (space, line, or paragraph) property (e.g, Zs, Zl, or
>  Zp) are mapped to SPACE (U+0020).

Can you list these (mostly as character ranges, I hope), or are there
too many of them?

For syntaxes/matching rules that expect non-empty strings, character
removal in step 2.2 can change a valid (non-empty) string to an invalid
(empty) one.  If that happens, I suggest a SPACE should be inserted for
matching rules where space can be insignificant.  I don't know what to
do about matching rules where space is always significant.

For the same reason,

> 2.6.1. Insignificant Space Removal
>  A string consisting entirely of spaces is equivalent to a string
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  containing exactly one space.

This doesn't say anything about how to translate the string.
I think it should be "... is _translated to_ a string containing...".

2.6.2 (numericString) and 2.6.3 (telephoneNumber) should also re-insert
a single space if they would translate a non-empty string to an empty
one, since these syntaxes also expect a non-empty string.
That is, I assume 'PrintableString (SIZE(1..ub-telephone-number))' in
the definition of the Telephone Number syntax means one or more
character.

Finally, there is no section 2.6.  Sections 2.6.* should be 2.5.*.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:42:39 +0200

Ramsay, Ron writes:

> Surely you can't do strprep on PrintableString? The choice of
> characters is so limited that there can't be any translation?

There are no UTF-8 characters to translate, but spaces can be removed.

-- 
Hallvard