Subject: Re: Fwd: [ldapext] modifyDN.deleteOldRDN and name forms

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:34:01 -0600

I still can't find language that says (effectively) that "the attributes
of an RDN must be chosen from the set of allowable attributes for an
entry". Is there such language?

Jim

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]> 6/19/03 6:58:38 PM >>>
A few editorial corrections to my post...
        Kurt

At 05:50 PM 6/19/2003, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>>It appears that X.501 allows name forms to specify attributes that
are
>>not allowed by the object class definition that the name form is
used
>>for.
>
>Not the "structural" distinction made in the following quote.

s/Not/Note/

>><from Name form definition> "The RDN attribute (or attributes) need
>>not
>>be chosen from the list of permitted attributes of the structural
>>object
>>class as specified in its structural or alias object class
>>definition."
>
>I take this means that the RDN may be chosen from the other
>attributes which are allowed to appear in the entry, such as
>those allowed (directly or indirectly) by a DIT Content Rule.

s/means/to mean/

>>a) Does this also apply to DITContentRules? Meaning, if an attribute
>>is
>>not allowed on the object class definition, or allowed by the DIT
>>Content Rule, can it be specified in the name form?
>
>No.  The naming attributes must be listed from the attributes of the
>entry and those attributes must be allowed either the structural
>object class of the entry or by the controlling DIT content rule.

s/listed/chosen/

>>I can't find answers to a, b, or c, in the X.500 series.
>
>I think the answer is primarily given in X.501.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:48:51 -0700

>entry". Is there such language?

X.501(93):
  distinguished value: An attribute value in an entry which has
  been designated to appear in the relative distinguished name
  of the entry.

  relative distinguished name (RDN): A set of one or more attribute
  type and value pairs, each of which matches a distinct
  distinguished attribute value of the entry.

RFC 2251 said:
   Entries have names: one or more attribute values
   from the entry form its relative distinguished name (RDN), ...

Which attribute values may appear in an entry is controlled by
user (and/or system) schema.

Kurt