Subject: Fwd: [ldapext] modifyDN.deleteOldRDN and name forms

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:22:45 -0600

I couldn't get a response on ldapext. Maybe people are ignoring it, or
maybe everyone is just on a holiday.

>>> "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]> 6/18/03 2:56:34 PM >>>
All,

It appears that X.501 allows name forms to specify attributes that are
not allowed by the object class definition that the name form is used
for.
<from Name form definition> "The RDN attribute (or attributes) need
not
be chosen from the list of permitted attributes of the structural
object
class as specified in its structural or alias object class
definition."

a) Does this also apply to DITContentRules? Meaning, if an attribute
is
not allowed on the object class definition, or allowed by the DIT
Content Rule, can it be specified in the name form?

b) If yes, can objects be instantiated with names that use those
attributes?

c) If yes, what happens when modifyDN.deleteOldRDN is set to false
when
renaming one of these attributes?

I can't find answers to a, b, or c, in the X.500 series.

Jim

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:50:48 -0700

>not allowed by the object class definition that the name form is used

Not the "structural" distinction made in the following quote.

>class as specified in its structural or alias object class

I take this means that the RDN may be chosen from the other
attributes which are allowed to appear in the entry, such as
those allowed (directly or indirectly) by a DIT Content Rule.

>Content Rule, can it be specified in the name form?

No.  The naming attributes must be listed from the attributes of the
entry and those attributes must be allowed either the structural
object class of the entry or by the controlling DIT content rule.

>I can't find answers to a, b, or c, in the X.500 series.

I think the answer is primarily given in X.501.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:58:38 -0700

A few editorial corrections to my post...
        Kurt

>Not the "structural" distinction made in the following quote.

s/Not/Note/

>those allowed (directly or indirectly) by a DIT Content Rule.

s/means/to mean/

>object class of the entry or by the controlling DIT content rule.

s/listed/chosen/