Subject: Values of matchingRules Attribute

From: Chris Harding <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 14:25:06 +0100

Hi -

We are beta testing The Open Group's VSLDAP test suite, and the following 
question has been raised. Input from ldapbis experts would be much appreciated.

Must a server maintain values of the matchingRules attribute for standard 
matching rules such as presence or equality?

RFC 2252 says:

>   5.1 Standard Operational Attributes
>    Servers MUST maintain values of these attributes in accordance with
>   the definitions in X.501(93)
>   ...
>    5.1.8 matchingRules
>   This attribute is typically located in the subschema entry

It doesn't specify whether the attribute values must include values for 
standard attributes. I took a look at X.501, and couldn't find a clear 
statement there either. I would have assumed, unless it said otherwise, 
that there would be values for the standard rules - but experience has 
taught me that such assumptions are dangerous.

Please give me your views!

Regards,

Chris
+++++

========================================================================
            Dr. Christopher J. Harding
   T H E    Executive Director for the Directory Interoperability Forum
  O P E N   Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading RG1 1AX, UK
G R O U P  Mailto:[email-masked] Phone: +44 118 902 3018
            WWW: http://www.opengroup.org Mobile: +44 774 063 1520
========================================================================

Boundaryless Information Flow - Grid Computing
Boston, MA, USA, July 21st - 25th
http://www.opengroup.org/boston2003

UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the US and other countries
========================================================================