Subject: Re: Specifying non-tcp transports referrals

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:13:23 -0600

I assumed it was a bad assumption because as I looked closer at
draft-ietf-ldapbis-url-03.txt, I found nothing to indicate that the
LDAPURL is to be used for any particular transport. From what I can
tell, it is only a defacto standard that this is always used for
TCP/IP.

>>> Mark C Smith <[email-masked]> 6/24/03 11:42:16 PM >>>
Eric A. Hall wrote:
> on 6/24/2003 1:12 PM Jim Sermersheim wrote:
> 
> 
>>I believe it's assumed that the address in an LDAP URL
>>(draft-ietf-ldapbis-url-03.txt) points to an LDAP server capable of
>>communicating over TCP/IP. This is probably a bad assumption.

Why is that a bad assumption? If and when someone wants to use URLs
that 
support LDAP over a non-TCP transport, they can define an LDAP URL 
extension or a new URL scheme (as both Jim and Eric suggested). I do
not 
think the LDAPBis documents need to say much if anything about this.

-Mark

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:21:02 -0700

> tell, it is only a defacto standard that this is always used for

The only well defined transport for LDAP is TCP. So I just assume that 
LDAP URLs must use TCP as a transport too. Are you saying that is too 
limiting?

-Mark