Subject: The XML Enabled Directory - Mailing List

From: "Steven Legg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:51:34 +1000

Folks,

Some of you will have already noticed that I recently published
the first batch of a series of Internet drafts that describe
an XML rendition of LDAP and X.500 called the XML Enabled Directory (XED).

For those who are interested, the roadmap document is the best place
to start reading as it puts the other documents into context:

    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-legg-xed-roadmap-00.txt

Paraphrasing the roadmap's introduction:

   The XML Enabled Directory leverages existing LDAP and X.500
   directory technology to create a directory service that stores,
   manages and transmits XML format data, while maintaining
   interoperability with LDAP clients, X.500 DUAs and DSAs.

   The main features of XED are:

    - semantically equivalent XML renditions of existing directory
      protocols,

    - XML renditions of directory data,

    - the ability to accept at run time, user defined attribute syntaxes
      specified in a variety of XML schema languages,

    - the ability to perform filter matching on the parts of XML format
      attribute values,

    - the flexibility for implementors to develop XED clients using only
      their favoured XML schema language.

I have set up a mailing list, [email-masked], to hold discussions
on the XED Internet drafts. Purely editorial comments can be sent
straight to me. To subscribe to the list send a message to
[email-masked] with the keyword subscribe in the body.
The list only accepts postings by subscribers.

Regards,
Steven