Subject: protocol-19 comments

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:45:56 +0100

[Protocol] says:

> 4.1.7. Attribute and PartialAttribute
>
>   Attributes and partial attributes consist of an attribute description
>   and values of that attribute description.

This isn't quite correct.  The values are the values of the attribute,
not of the attribute description.  (The value of the attribute
description is the attribute description:-)

>   Each attribute value is distinct in the set (no duplicates).

...when comparing values with the attribute description's equality
matching rule, or octet by octet when there is no equality matching
rule.

[Is that poorly worded?  I don't quite know how to put it.]

> 4.2. Bind Operation
>
>   - authentication: information used to authenticate the name, if any,
>     (...)
>     resultCode field of the BindResponse.

I suggest a blank line here, to clarify that the rest of the paragraph
only applies to simple auth.

>     The simple form of an AuthenticationChoice specifies a simple
>     password to be used for authentication.
>     Textual passwords (consisting of a character sequence with a known
>     (...)

Why was section 6 (Implementation Guidelines) removed,
and this sentence in section 4.12 (Extended Operation):

   Each request MUST have a unique OBJECT IDENTIFIER assigned to it.

?

-- 
Hallvard