Subject: Re: [Models] X- options on schema elements

From: Steven Legg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 17:13:14 +1000

Prasad,

Vithalprasad Gaitonde wrote:
> Section 4.1 of [Models] says:
> "Implementors should note that future versions of this document may
>   expand these definitions to include additional terms.  Terms whose
>   identifier begins with "X-" are reserved for private experiments,
> and
>   are followed by <SP> and <qdstrings> tokens."
> 
> Why is there a restriction  that the X-<tag> be followed by qdstrings
> alone. Shouldnt implementations be allowed to return binary values as
> well here.

The restriction is so that implementations not recognizing the private
experiment can skip over and ignore the extension if they happen to
encounter it.

Regards,
Steven