Subject: Re: reframing the Empty IA5 string discussion

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:23:17 -0700

Not being an expert at LDAPprep or the reasons why Directory Strings
have the whitespace and min 1 rules they do, I prefer 2A.

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]> 11/10/04 9:41:29 PM >>>
I see that there are few reasonable options here:
1) IA5 strings precludes zero-length values
2) IA5 strings allows zero-length values
2A) a zero-length values only matches a zero-length value
2B) a zero-length value matches " " (and all values
equivalent to " ").

I prefer 1 over 2A over 2B (see prior posts for why).

(Regardless of the choice LDAPprep can and should be designed
to be idempotent.)

---

From: Ludovic Poitou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 05:35:59 +0100

I'm also inclined to prefer 2A over 1 for compatibility reasons, over 2B 
for simplicity.

Ludovic.

-- 
Ludovic Poitou
Directory Architect.
Directory Server Group, Grenoble, France
Sun Microsystems Inc.

Sun Microsystems requires the following notice:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~