Subject: protocol: Result codes no longer reserved for API

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:28:52 +0100

In RFC 2251 section 4.1.10 (Result Message), result codes 81-90 were
reserved for the API.  Since Protocol-20, they have not been.
The change is not noted in section C.1 (Changes made to RFC 2251),
nor can I find any discussion about it.

BTW, C.1 also does not note that strongAuthRequired was renamed to
strongerAuthRequired.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:42:35 -0800

As LDAPBIS co-chair, I see no need for any WG chair action at
this late stage (the I-D is approved for publication) to make
any changes to the I-D based upon your comments.

The removal of this ASN.1 comment is not substantive change to
the LDAP technical specification, nor in anyway, impacts which
codes are or are not reserved for APIs.

Since the publication of BCP 64, the definitive list of
(registered) LDAP result codes is managed by IANA.  The
ASN.1 comment is, at best, an extraneous comment and, at worse,
an erroneous comment.  Additional codes have been reserved for
APIs.

As the removal of the comment is not a substantive change, it's
lack of mention in Appendix C is appropriate.

>BTW, C.1 also does not note that strongAuthRequired was renamed to

See C.1.9.

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 06:18:59 +0100

> any changes to the I-D based upon your comments.

OK.

> (...)

Oops... but it was true in protocol-20, which I had open in another
window:-)

-- 
Hallvard