Subject: Protocol Action: 'Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP): Syntaxes and Matching Rules' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:53:28 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP): Syntaxes and Matching Rules '
   <draft-ietf-ldapbis-syntaxes-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the LDAP (v3) Revision Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ted Hardie and Scott Hollenbeck.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-syntaxes-11.txt

Technical Summary
 
   Each attribute stored in a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
   (LDAP) directory, and whose values may be transfered in the LDAP
   protocol, has a defined syntax which constrains the structure and
   format of its values.  The comparison semantics for values of a
   syntax are not part of the syntax definition but are instead provided
   through separately defined matching rules.  Matching rules specify an
   argument, an assertion value, which also has a defined syntax.  This
   document defines a base set of syntaxes and matching rules for use in
   defining attributes for LDAP directories.
  (What does this protocol do and why does the community need it?)
 
Working Group Summary
 
The LDAPBIS working group came to consensus on this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Ted Hardie.