Subject: LDAPBind vs LDAPRebind objects - java-api-11 draft

From: "Steve Sonntag" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 12:58:23 -0600

I would like clarification on how LDAPBind vs LDAPRebind objects
are used in the Java API.

The I-D implies, but never quite says that the two objects don't 
normally exist in the LDAPConstraints object at the same time.
(Implied by Appendix G - LDAPConstraints - they should
not be specified on the same constructor)

They certainly can both be set by using the set methods, but
are probably not both used at the same time.

I surmise from the draft that these objects are used as follows:

1. Neither object is used unless Referrals are enabled in the
    LDAPConstraint object (automatic referral following enabled).

2. An LDAPRebind object is used only if present and if an LDAPBind
    object is not present in the LDAPConstraint object.

3. An LDAPBind object is used if present.  If present, the LDAPRebind
    object is not needed by LDAPConnection as no implicit binding is done.
    Explicit binding is the responsibility of the LDAPBind object.  Therefore
    the LDAPRebind object is not used in this case.

If my guesses are correct, maybe the draft should be clarified as to the
usage of these objects.

Thanks,

-Steve