Subject: SASL bind - java-api-11 draft

From: "Steve Sonntag" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:47:20 -0600

4.40.1

In the explaination of bind operations that use mechanisms should the first
Paragraph be changed from 

   Authenticates to the LDAP server (that the object is currently
   connected to) using the specified name and of a specified set of
   mechanisms. If none of the requested SASL mechanisms is available, an

    Authenticates to the LDAP server (that the object is currently
   connected to) using the specified name and ONE of a specified set of  <----
   mechanisms. If none of the requested SASL mechanisms is available, an
 
What does it mean -

   if the first version of the method (i.e. the one that specifies no mechanism)
   is called, the LDAP server will be interrogated for its
   supportedSaslMechanisms attribute of its root DSE.

What does it do after the LDAP server is interrogated?  Does it use one
of them, and if so how does the application know which one is used
and how does it know what kind of credentials to supply?

-Steve

---

From: Steven Sonntag <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:54:15 -0600

Shouldn't the SASL bind mechanisms also support the ability
for the application to specify an LDAPConstraints
object so that call specific controls can be specified?

-Steve

Steve Sonntag wrote:

>   4.40.1 In the explaination of bind operations that use mechanisms
> should the firstParagraph be changed from    Authenticates to the LDAP
> server (that the object is currently
>    mechanisms. If none of the requested SASL mechanisms is available,
> anWhat does it mean -    if the first version of the method (i.e. the
> one that specifies no mechanism)
>    supportedSaslMechanisms attribute of its root DSE. What does it do
> after the LDAP server is interrogated?  Does it use oneof them, and if
> so how does the application know which one is usedand how does it know
> what kind of credentials to supply? -Steve