Subject: LDAPMessage.nextElement() in java-api-11

From: "Steve Sonntag" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:16:59 -0600

As I was looking at LDAPMessage.nextElement()
I wondered how the API should communicate to the
application that an  LDAP error has occurred on the
connection such as TIMEOUT.  We cannot throw
an LDAPException because that violates the
Enumeration contract.

Should the description be extended to include
returned value may be 
     an LDAPEntry, an LDAPResponse, or an LDAPReferralException
     where an LDAPResponse is returned on error cases and encapsulates
     the error code.
     
-Steve

------------------------
Steve Sonntag
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net services software

---

From: [email-masked] (Miodrag Kekic)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:04:07 -0700

In out current implementation, we return only LDAPEntries and
LDAPExceptions (including also the LDAPReferralException being an
extension of LDAPException). LDAPResponse messages, are used only for
asynch operations. For synchronous ones, they are converted into
LDAPException and as such delivered to the application.

So the text should be "The returned value may be an LDAPEntry or an
LDAPException or an LDAPReferralException".

Miodrag

Steve Sonntag wrote:

>  As I was looking at LDAPMessage.nextElement()I wondered how the API
> should communicate to theapplication that an  LDAP error has occurred
> on theconnection such as TIMEOUT.  We cannot throwan LDAPException
> because that violates theEnumeration contract. Should the description
> be extended to includereturned value may be     an LDAPEntry, an
> LDAPResponse, or an LDAPReferralException     where an LDAPResponse is
> returned on error cases and encapsulates     the error
> code. -Steve ------------------------
> Steve Sonntag