Subject: Adding attributes to existing classes in the schema

From: Purushottam Goel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:09:02 +0530

Hi,

Is there any way that I can programmatically (using JLDAP) add new optional
attributes (user defined) to existing classes?
I am developing a directory based application where I need to extend the
class "top" with some of my user defined optional attributes so that all
objects in the directory can hold that attribute.
There seems to be no way in JLDAP to do it.

Also, I am using the Netscape Directory Server 4.13. When I go to the schema
page in the Server Management Console, and click on an existing class (like
top) the Edit button is disabled which suggests that Netscape Directory
Server 4.13 does not let me manually add attributes to existing classes. NDS
(Novell directory server) certainly lets you add attributes to existing
classes. Am I missing something?

Any help/pointers would be much appreciated...

Regards,
Purushottam
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Rich Megginson)
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 09:58:35 -0700

> There seems to be no way in JLDAP to do it.

You must first create and add your new attributes to the directory schema.
Then, create a new objectclass inheriting from top and containing your new
attributes and add it to the directory schema.

> classes. Am I missing something?

It is a very bad idea to change standard objectclasses.  The recommended way is
to add new objectclass that inherit from existing ones.

---

From: "Tony Vasile" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 13:14:14 -0400

An alternative is to create an auxiliary class with the required attributes,
and attach the auxiliary class instance at runtime to an instance of another
class.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rich Megginson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 12:59 PM
> To: Purushottam Goel
> Cc: Ietf-Ldapext@Netscape. Com (E-mail)
> Subject: Re: Adding attributes to existing classes in the schema
>
>
> Purushottam Goel wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >