Subject: RE: [ldapext] draft-ietf-ldapext-locate

From: "Paul Leach" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 14:10:29 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 12:33
> To: Kurt D. Zeilenga
> Cc: [email-masked]; Patrik Fältström; Michael Armijo; 
> Paul Leach; Levon Esibov; [email-masked]; 
> [email-masked]; Ned Freed; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [ldapext] draft-ietf-ldapext-locate
> 

<snip>

> 
> >  My answer to this is, the mechanism should be implemented/used as 
> > detailed in the technical specification for the application (or 
> > protocol) requiring its use.
> 
> That's a very reasonable answer.
> 
> > That is, I agree that implementations should not use this mechanism 
> > unless they implement a particular technical specification which 
> > prescribes use of the mechanism.  This should be clarified.

I don't agree with this, because there are existing specs that don't
prescribe its use, where is was in fact the intent that this mechanism
be allowed to be used.

I propose that we say this about when it MAY be used:

1. By clients wishing to locate an authoritative LDAP server for DNs
that contain DCs on the right side of a DN, when they have not been
configured with either implementation specific information to the
contrary, or when they are not using some other (future) standard for
locating said LDAP server.

2. By servers wishing to generate referrals to Naming Contexts for which
it doesn't have any other way to return location information.

In addition, standards for other scenarios may require or allow its its
use in those scenarios.

Paul