Subject: Re: [ldapext] BER encoding of PasswordPolicyResponseValue?

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:45:23 -0700

Ok, it seems that group consensus is moving in favor of this kind of
wording, so let it be done. But.. my example used SHOULD, and this
example uses SHALL (MUST). MUST may break some existing implementations.
I'm willin g to use MUST/SHALL wording if group consensus agrees.

Note also, that 5.1 in Protocol doesn't say anything about the
extensibility of the ASN.1. It only talks about the BER encoding.
Basically, I need to reconcile this between Sections 4 (Elements of
Protocol), 4.1.11 (Controls), 4.12 (Extended Operations), and 5.1
(Protocol Encoding).

Jim

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]> 3/31/03 8:45:56 AM >>>
At 10:47 PM 3/28/2003, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>I'd love to do this, but the fact is, values of controls and extended
>operations are OCTET STRING types.

Yes, but as LDAP extensions are defining "LDAP protocol elements",
I think it is reasonable to say that this SHALL apply to control and
extended operation values which are described in term of ASN.1 and
encoded using BER (as described in 5.1) unless the technical
specification defining the LDAP protocol element explicitly states
otherwise.

I encourage extension authors to include to define the
term BER-encoded as follows.
   Protocol elements are described using ASN.1 [X.680].  The term
   "BER-encoded" means the element is to be encoded using the Basic
   Encoding Rules [X.690] under the restrictions detailed in
   Section 5.1 of [RFC2251].

Kurt 

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:53:33 -0800

Ee need to move this discussion to the LDAPBIS list
for their consideration.  Thanks, Kurt