Subject: Re: [ldapext] I-D ACTION:draft-zeilenga-ldap-uuid-00.txt

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 08:58:52 -0700

At 06:49 AM 5/13/2003, John McMeeking wrote:
>2.3 'uuidOrderingMatch' Matching Rule
>
>Why do you define an ordering matching rule for UUIDs?

For completeness.  UUID ordering was discussed in the DCE
UUID specification.

I wonder though if the ordering applies to non-DCE UUID
forms allowed by my draft (I need to buy a copy of the ISO
specification) and, even if so, whether a DSA can be
reasonably expected to commit objects in UUID order.

Anyways, I wanted some discussion before deciding whether
or not to support UUID ordering matching here and that's
easier to do with a specification for it.

So, I ask, should UUID ordering support stay or be removed
from this I-D?

Kurt 

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: Thorild Selen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 19:21:12 +0200

One possible use (if server side sorting is supported):

  <client> Please give me all entries matching filter foo in subtree
	   bar etc., please sort by UUID.

  <server> Here you are: ...

  (Client looses connection with server after just having received
  entry baz. Client connects again, possibly to another server.)

  <client> Please give me... etc., where UUID > baz, please sort by
           UUID.

So the client doesn't have to see all those entries that it has
already seen again, and will not again get an entry that it has
already seen (even if entries are renamed during or between the
searches).

Generally, it's probably not worth it, but by supplying an ordering
you make this an option for developers of LDAP clients, instead of
deciding in advance that "you won't need this".

Thorild Selén
Datorföreningen Update / Update Computer Club, Uppsala, SE
_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext