Subject: Re: [ldapext] Assert I-D.

From: "Vithalprasad Gaitonde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 02:08:20 -0600

"Also, the text should be less ambiguous on when the assertion is to be

checked. The draft says that the Assertion and the Operation shall be 
done as an atomic operation. But it doesn't say if the assertion is to

be applied BEFORE the target entry contains the changes or AFTER.
For example, if I assert that foo=bar but replace the attribute foo
with 
the foobar value, the assertion is true before I apply the change and 
not after."

I wonder when you would need to assert after the update operation. If
the intention of the assert after the update is to check if a value got
set, the server sending a success result code in response to an
operation would mean that the update is successful. So assert in that
case isn't meaningful.
Assert after an update may only make sense with the increment modify
operation that Kurt was describing - so we could check for a particular
value after the increment. 

Prasad

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: Ludovic Poitou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:38:31 +0200

>value after the increment. 
Agree... Or if the Assert is on Operational Attributes...

Ludovic.

-- 
Ludovic Poitou
Sun Microsystems Inc.
Sun ONE products - Directory Server Group - Grenoble - France