Subject: [ldapext] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-sermersheim-ldap-subordinate-scope-00.txt

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:31:12 -0600

All,

I found a need for this as I was fleshing out work on the distributed
op procedures I-D, but I've also had such a search scope requested a
number of times in the past (and I believe other vendors have as well).

Please review if you have some time (it's very short).

Thanks,

Jim

>>> <[email-masked]> 8/11/04 1:21:56 PM >>>
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Subordinate Subtree Search Scope for LDAP
	Author(s)	: J. Sermersheim
	Filename	:
draft-sermersheim-ldap-subordinate-scope-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 2004-8-11
	
The Lightweight Directory Application Protocol (LDAP) specification
   supports three scope values for the search operation -- namely:
   baseObject, singleLevel, and wholeSubtree.  This document
introduces
   a subordinateSubtree scope which constrains the search scope to all
   subordinates of the named base object.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sermersheim-ldap-subordinate-scope-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce

to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-sermersheim-ldap-subordinate-scope-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt 

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-sermersheim-ldap-subordinate-scope-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation
on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: John McMeeking <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:15:20 -0500

Before I go on vacation and forget this completely...

I have a practical concern with defining a new search scope, as opposed to,
say, a "subordinate subtree scope" control:  Do existing clients validate
the search scope?  Or provide a search interface designed in such a way
that supporting a new scope would require a new programming interface or
similar changes?  For example, System.out.println shows the JNDI
SearchControls.xxx_SCOPE constants happen to map to the LDAP search scope
enumeration, but they could just as easily been different values.

>From a server/protocol perspective, I think it is cleaner to define a new
scope.  But if making use of this feature requires LDAP client changes
(possibly from a different vendor than the server), it might be more
practical to provide this feature as a control.

John  McMeeking

[email-masked] wrote on 08/12/2004 12:31:12 PM:

> [attachment "Part.001" deleted by John McMeeking/Rochester/IBM]
> [attachment "draft-sermersheim-ldap-subordinate-scope-00.txt"
> deleted by John McMeeking/Rochester/IBM] [attachment "Part.003"
> deleted by John McMeeking/Rochester/IBM]