Subject: Re: [ldapext] when is manageDsaIT needed for the root DSE?

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:52:37 -0600

I agree conceptually. But when describing the steps for determining
suitability of the pointed-to object in technical terms, you'd kind of
have to say "aliasedObjectName can point to a glue DSE, but not the root
DSE."

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]> 9/23/04 6:21:46 PM >>>
At 05:11 PM 9/23/2004, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>Thinking more about the alias thing; an alias should be allowed to
point
>to a glue DSE. 

I'd argue that such an alias is not pointing at the glue,
but the object/alias entry that the glue entry is providing
glue for.

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: Steven Legg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:10:25 +1000

Jim,

> have to say "aliasedObjectName can point to a glue DSE, but not the root

Couldn't you just say that the value of aliasedObjectName cannot be the
empty RDN sequence ?

You might be better off not saying that the aliasedObjectName *points* to
anything, but rather that it provides a new name with which to recommence
name resolution. The name is a reference to an entry or alias that may or
may not exist (anywhere), and may or may not be locally represented by
either an entry DSE, an alias DSE or a glue DSE. One finds out by doing
name resolution.

Regards,
Steven