Subject: [ldapext] syntax or matching rule flaw in RFC 3045

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:54:15 -0600

We were looking at implementing this and someone noticed that the syntax
for the attributes is Directory String (1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15)
while the EQUALITY rule is caseExactIA5Match 
(1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.109.114.1).

I assume the author was at one point using the IA5 String syntax and
changed to Directory String but forgot to change the EQUALITY rule (the
author doesn't work at Novell anymore or I'd ask him). We should
probably update the RFC. Do other vendors who have implemented this use
a caseExactMatch (2.5.13.5) for the EQUALITY?

Thanks,

Jim

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: Ludovic Poitou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:59:51 +0200

Sun Directory Server has implemented RFC 3045 with the schema as defined 
in the RFC.
I'm not aware of any application or customer actually using the equality 
matching rule.
The server itself doesn't (the values cannot be modified).

Ludovic.

-- 
Ludovic Poitou
Directory Architect.
Directory Server Group, Grenoble, France
Sun Microsystems Inc.

Sun Microsystems requires the following notice:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:20:46 -0700

>while the EQUALITY rule is caseExactIA5Match 

Yikes.  This means that only assertion values in AVAs
involving this attribute type are restricted to IA5.
I do not believe that was intended.

>author doesn't work at Novell anymore or I'd ask him).

Last minute (and incomplete) internationalization perhaps.

>We should probably update the RFC.

Seems appropriate.

>Do other vendors who have implemented this use

Current OpenLDAP code is using caseExactMatch as
these attributes equality matching rule.

Kurt

---

From: John McMeeking <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:32:49 -0500

We didn't bother to put the root DSE attributes in our schema.  Server
behavior is hard-coded and wouldn't be affected by the proposed change.

John McMeeking

(Document link: John McMeeking)