Subject: [ldapext] LDAP Bar BOF Tonight 8pm.

From: Ludovic Poitou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:13:39 +0100

Hi,

As Kurt mentioned in the App Area, there will be an LDAP Bar BOF this  
Wednesday for those interested that are in Minneapolis.

Meet in the lobby at 8pm and we'll figure out a place to talk over  
dinner.

Overview (copied from initial LDAP BOF proposal):

Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) BOF

Chair(s): TBD

The purpose of this BOF is to discuss the formation of a working group  
to undertake LDAP standards work.  It is conceived that the proposed  
WG would undertake both the revision of existing technical  
specifications for LDAP extensions and the engineering of new LDAP  
extensions.

There are numerous existing technical specifications for LDAP  
extensions.  Most of the Standard Track specifications were published  
prior to the current LDAP "core" specification [RFC 4510] and are in  
the need of revision.  In some cases, it may be more appropriate to  
move the extension off the Standards Track.   While the work of  
determining which RFC should be revised (or moved off to a different  
track), and prioritization of the work, could be deferred to the WG,  
it is hoped that the BOF will reach some conclusions as to which  
revision work is of the highest priority.

There are also numerous extensions to LDAP which seem worthy of  
standardization. It is hoped that the BOF will reach some conclusion  
as to short list of new extension work items to be undertaken (at  
least initially) by the proposed WG.  That short list might include,  
for instance, in LDAP Transactions and Extensions for X.500 Alignment.

By including both revision and new engineering work items in a single  
working group it is hoped that the sufficient participation levels  
will be maintained to make reasonable progress in both revision and  
new engineering work.

Ludovic Poitou                                    Sun Microsystems Inc.
OpenDS Community Lead               Directory Services
http://blogs.sun.com/Ludo/         Grenoble Engineering Center - France

Sun Microsystems requires the following notice:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by
reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext