Subject: [ldapext] Comparing RFC2307, RFC2307bis and DBIS

From: Mark R Bannister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 00:07:27 +0100

I've now written up what I hope is a comprehensive comparison of 
RFC2307, RFC2307bis and DBIS (a proposed replacement for them).

I was motivated to do this after talking recently with some software 
vendors who seemed to misunderstand DBIS, thinking that they could get 
all the benefits of DBIS from their RFC2307 client software just by 
remapping some attributes.  The write-up below should hopefully shed 
more light on what you can do, what you can't do, and why DBIS is a big 
improvement over RFC2307 or RFC2307bis.

Feature comparison:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dbis/wiki/DBIS%20and%20RFC2307%20-%20A%20Comparison/

Schema comparison:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dbis/wiki/DBIS%20and%20RFC2307%20schemas/

Comments welcome as always.  Note that DBIS is still a work in progress, 
and I will gladly receive and consider feature requests. I'm also 
looking for individuals who can test DBIS on other platforms and provide 
patches where necessary, as I only have access to OpenSuSE, RHEL and 
Solaris hosts.

Best regards,
Mark Bannister.