Subject: [lemonade] BINARY in Profile 1

From: "Burger, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:17:10 -0500

Can we keep BINARY in Profile 1?  To do that requires text or fixes to
BINARY to explain interaction with S/MIME, or to say, "don't bother
trying to do BINARY APPEND."

Please respond by 11/28.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:51:52 +0000

On Tue Nov  8 00:17:10 2005, Burger, Eric wrote:
> BINARY to explain interaction with S/MIME

Last time I exchanged emails with Lyndon about BINARY (concerning its 
lack of interction with LITERL+), he sais he was going to do an 
update at some point. If he doesn't, then I think one of us should.

> , or to say, "don't bother
No, we can't do that, because an IMAP client which actually 
implements BINARY will still be trying to upload messages and message 
parts using BINARY, and may be forced into resending the command, or 
worse, the content, when faced with a server which responds with 
UNKNOWN-CTE.

One of the potential solutions is to define a new extension which is 
a download-only version of BINARY - that it, it supports the BINARY 
FETCH item, but not the use of BINARY/literal8 with APPEND.

Either way, deploying BINARY in Profile 1 needs a new draft.

Dave.
-- 
           You see things; and you say "Why?"
   But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw