Subject: [lemonade] [Fwd: Conflicting Enhanced Status Codes between RFC 4468 and draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis]

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:06:50 +0000

FYI.

Subject: Conflicting Enhanced Status Codes between RFC 4468 and draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis
From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:05:48 +0000

Hi,
Chris Newman just pointed out that there is a conflict between an 
Enhanced Status Code defined in RFC 4468 and draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis.

RFC 4468 defines:

   X.7.8 Trust relationship required

      The submission server requires a configured trust relationship
      with a third-party server in order to access the message content.

draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis-08.txt defines:

    535 5.7.8 Authentication credentials invalid

    This response to the AUTH command indicates that the authentication
    failed due to invalid or insufficient authentication credentials.
    In this case, the client SHOULD ask the user to supply new
    credentials (such as by presenting a password dialog box).

Use of 5.7.8 in draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis-08.txt is a new feature 
since RFC 2554. However, draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis was around for long 
time and there might be more implementations of its 5.7.8 than that from 
the RFC 4468. There are certainly fewer RFC 4468 implementations 
deployed at the moment.

So, in order to decide whether draft-siemborski-rfc2554bis needs to be 
changed or whether rfc4468bis needs to be published, I would like to 
solicit comments from implementors of both extensions.

Regards,
Alexey

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade