Subject: [lemonade] update to SMTP/RFC2821 about to become available

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:10:50 -0500

There is an update to RFC 2821 (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, aka SMTP)
about to become available from the secretariat in an internet-drafts
repository near you. It will be discussed on the [email-masked]
mailing list.

Here are the guidelines to follow for comments on it:

We want to advance RFC2821/SMTP to Draft Standard.  Thus, we don't want
to design anything "new" or "better" for SMTP as part of this particular
effort, which would require recycling at Proposed Standard -- in fact,
we want to be conservative in minimizing changes.   As with any movement
from DS to PS, changes should be limited to:

   1)	clarifications of the spec where there are discrepancies, and
   2)	removal of unused features.
   3)	The fixing of "bugs" should be limited to those that have a
	*very strong* consensus.

*Do not* bother raising the issue of reorganizing the document once
again, and/or breaking it up into separate pieces. Such emails will be
summarily ignored.

*Do not* ask us to reopen the NDN question (whether it is reasonable to
accept a message and then send a message-type rejection, and prohibit
that behavior "unless the sender can be guaranteed to be authentic").
While quite a worthy topic, this question will not be addressed in
2821bis. >>>Instead<<<, write an internet-draft that is an *UPDATE* to
2821/2821bis, and we will be happy to review such an I-D on the
[email-masked] mailing list.

Your pseudo-chair for this effort,

	Tony Hansen
	[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade