Subject: [lemonade] Proposed OMA liaison

From: "Glenn Parsons" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 04:08:01 -0400

Folks,

Attached below is the proposed liaison text to OMA as I discussed in the
LEMONADE meeting yesterday.

Please send any comments by the end of this week.

Cheers,
Glenn.

=======================================================

From: IETF LEMONADE Working Group
To: OMA MWG MEM Sub Working Group
Date: April 1, 2007
Title: Update on LEMONADE activity	
Response contact:  [email-masked]
Purpose:  For Action

The IETF LEMONADE working group (WG) would like to update you on our
progress.  Of note is that we have several RFCs that have already been
approved and published:

RFC 4467 - IMAP URLAUTH
RFC 4468 - IMAP BURL
RFC 4469 - IMAP CATENATE
RFC 4550 - LEMONADE Profile
RFC 4551 - IMAP CONDSTORE
RFC 4731 - IMAP ESEARCH

In addition, the following documents are essentially complete and are
complete and in the process of formal approval and publication:

       draft-vaudreuil-futuredelivery
       draft-ietf-lemonade-search-within   
       draft-ietf-lemonade-deployments    
       draft-ietf-lemonade-compress    
       draft-ietf-lemonade-reconnect-client    

In addition, we are nearing completion on the rest of the documents in
discussion in the WG.  This includes CONVERT, notifications and finally
LEMONADE Profile-bis. It is our intention that this work will conclude
by June 2007.

In the LEMONADE Notifications document
(draft-ietf-lemonade-notifications) we have currently based 'out of
band' notification on OMA EMN.  However, in the development of the
functionality we have the need to identify items (such as message
subject, date, sender, etc.) that are not part of the EMN mechanism.  As
a result, we have described these as a different extended notification
payload in addition to the base EMN payload.  OMA MEM indicated that you
were working with OMA BAC Push to validate our current approach and to
extend EMN with these capabilities.   We would appreciate a status on
this activity.

For the IMAP CONVERT protocol, the LEMONADE WG had agreed that the only
'Mandatory to Implement' conversion that will appear in the CONVERT
protocol is HTML to TEXT.  However, as we indicated previously the
protocol itself can support any subset or even the entire OMA STI
parameter suite.  However, we do not believe that support of the full
list of OMA STI parameters is appropriate.  The LEMONADE profile will
not specifify this list and OMA MEM indicated that you would further
subset the full list of STI parameters to make it realistic for the OMA
mobile enabler.   We would appreciate a status on this activity.

As we had previously indicated, LEMONADE has conducted a preliminary
interoperability event.   Note that from an IETF perspective, our
interest is only to facilitate protocol maturity.  Specifically, that is
to prove the feasibility of the protocol (which we have done with our
preliminary event) and to document multiple interworking implementations
to prove maturity (which we will do later this year).   At our
preliminary event nine entities participated with four test LEMONADE
servers and numerous clients.  The group tested these implementations
against the LEMONADE Profile (RFC 4550) and identified some
clarifications that were needed to make the specifications clear.  The
specific issues of the interop event have been used to update our
documents.  We expect that we will have another event later this year
based on the published Profile-bis.  OMA MEM had indicated that the
latter would be of interest to OMA IOP.    

Finally, as you know, the LEMONADE WG is working on a set of extensions
to IMAP and ESMTP to support mobile email.  This set will be succinctly
described in the LEMONADE profile (draft-ietf-lemonade-profile-bis).  We
understand that the OMA TS will normatively reference the LEMONADE
profile for the MEM protocol.  In order to help us understand your usage
better, we would appreciate a presentation on the OMA MEM TS for
LEMONADE.  Would it be possible to have such a presentation at our next
meeting?

Up-to-date information on LEMONADE Internet-Drafts and RFCs can always
be found at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/lemonade/ 
with additional information on our charter page
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/lemonade-charter.html 

Finally, as information, the next meetings of the IETF LEMONADE WG are:
- May ? - LEMONADE interim - TBD
- July 22-27 - IETF 69 plenary - Chicago

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 05:44:42 -0700

At 4:08 AM -0400 3/20/07, Glenn Parsons wrote:

Finally, as you know,
the LEMONADE WG is working on a set of extensions to IMAP and ESMTP to
support mobile email.

This is potentially unclear, in that it might suggest that
lemonade is working on a set of IMAP/SMP extensions in addition to
what has been mentioned above.  I suggest changing this to:

Finally, as you know, the work of the LEMONADE
WG is focused on a set of extensions to IMAP and ESMTP to support
mobile email.

--

Randall Gellens

Opinions are personal;    facts are
suspect;    I speak for myself only

-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------

The early bird catches the worm, but what does the early worm get?

--Randall Gellens

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:59:33 +0000

> complete and in the process of formal approval and publication:
"essentially complete and in the process" - you have it twice 
completed.

> extend EMN with these capabilities.   We would appreciate a status 
"a status report", perhaps?

> (draft-ietf-lemonade-profile-bis).  We

Agree with Randy's suggestion for rewording.

The set of extensions will be summarized in the profile, not 
described.

> LEMONADE.  Would it be possible to have such a presentation at our 
Thursday? :-)

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - mailto:[email-masked] - xmpp:[email-masked]
  - acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/bookmarks/
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer - ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade