Subject: RE: [lemonade] extended error reporting

From: Peter Coates <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 15:47:58 -0800

I am somewhat bemused by the thread that has developed out of my suggestion
for extended error reporting.  It is an interesting debate, if marked by
rather more heat than light.

However, going back to the original point, the extended error reporting.
This is an extension  that is, I thought, remarkable in how innocuous it is.
It requires nothing of either the server or the  client.  The client can
tell the server that it is interested in extended error information, and
once it has done that the server may send some.   That this proposal has
snowballed into a philosophical debate on the direction of IMAP, whether is
should be preserved in aspic for old fuddy-duddies who still used email, or
whatever, seems to me to be indicative that this argument was awaiting only
a nucleation particle.

I would like a more linear discussion on the merits of my proposal at some
point, perhaps after the heat has dies down.

Peter

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade