Subject: [lemonade] Re: List of open issues with draft-gulbrandsen-imap-enable-03

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 18:24:35 -0800

At 1:46 PM +0000 11/12/07, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

>  Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>
>>  I will try to summarize the list of open issues so far (some of 
>> them are related):
>
>  And I would state my preferences:

I'll state mine, based on subsequent email discussion:

>
>>  1). In which states the ENABLE command should be allowed: all, 
>> only after authentication, ...
>
>  All states.

All states or authenticated (I'm not sure there is a compelling 
argument either way).  Although, if I understand Ned's point 
correctly, limiting ENABLE to the authenticated state (and perhaps 
even further, to the unselected state or some such) reduces the 
points at which the state can change, which reduces the complexity. 
Additionally, allowing ENABLE in unauthenticated state means the 
server has to keep track of the requested extensions and apply them 
after authentication.

>>  2). Handling of ENABLE for unrecognized extensions: send error or ignore
>
>  Ignore.

Agree.

>>  3). Handling of ENABLE for extensions that should not be enablable 
>> (e.g. IDLE): send error or ignore
>
>  Ignore.

Agree.

>>  4). How the client can learn if a particular extension was enabled 
>> or not? Does it need to know?
>
>  Clients should only rely on CAPABILITY responses/response codes.

Agree.

>>  5). Does ENABLE affect CAPABILITY response/response code?
>
>  It shouldn't affect the CAPABILITY command issued in the same 
> state, but it might change after authentication.

Makes sense.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Auntie Em, Hate you; Hate Kansas; Taking the dog.  --Dorothy.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade