Subject: [lemonade] Mail Organization

From: "Nick Irelan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 17:32:51 -0600

I would like to see the lemonade group focus on providing a standard way for
clients to organize email. Information overload is a signifigant problem
that has been recognized by the users of nearly all corperate email
accounts. Today, users are forced to develop stratagies that help allow them
to co-exist with the problem rather than face it. Is the group willing to
develop new protocols to combat this problem?
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 12:03:23 +0000

> develop new protocols to combat this problem?

It's largely out of scope for Lemonade - I say largely, because  
information overload on a mobile phone is substantially worse than  
for a desktop, and so Lemonade has developed techniques for filtering  
mail - CONTEXT, WITHIN, etc.

Similarly, IMAPEXT developed ANNOTATE (now experimental), and i18n  
support for IMAP, also directly applicable to this problem domain.

However, there is a mailing list for this exact topic, called  
[email-masked]. The general intent is to examine the techniques we  
have now, and figure out what else is needed. FWIW, this list has  
been very quite recently, as the key players have been busy getting  
Lemonade out of the door, and I've been more than a bit slack about  
keeping discussion moving.

I suggest you join that list, and read the archives, where there was  
a brief discussion at the beginning about the technologies we  
actually have already (which is quite a lot).

Dave.
-- 
Dave Cridland - mailto:[email-masked] - xmpp:[email-masked]
  - acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/bookmarks/
  - http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer - ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade