Subject: [lemonade] CONDSTORE and EXAMINE

From: Timo Sirainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 05:01:36 +0300

Let's assume that the server implements modifiable session-only flags
for EXAMINEd mailboxes and read-only mailboxes (as I suppose all servers
should, but I haven't bothered). When using such a server and
EXAMINEd/read-only mailbox, should STORE UNCHANGEDSINCE:

a) Always fail with "NO Read-only mailbox"

b) Like a), but [MODIFIED] properly set.

c) Update the session-only flags somehow?

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 11:29:54 +0200

Timo Sirainen writes:
> for EXAMINEd mailboxes and read-only mailboxes (as I suppose all 
> servers should, but I haven't bothered). When using such a server and 

IMO noone should expect more of you than that.

My regular rant, for those who haven't heard or have forgotten:

Computers and software exist to help people. Helping people access their 
mail via low-bandwith connections is a clear benefit to many people, so 
Lemonade is a good thing.

But picking a particular combination of error messages doesn't help 
people. In this case I think you have three things to report, and you 
can report either one or two of them. Detecting and reporting errors is 
good, since it helps prevent errors from unpleasant consequences. But 
it's only helpful in a double-negative sense: Prevents undesirable 
actions. When an IMAP server carries out a command, that's helpful in 
an entirely plain way. It's also a much more common case.

We're better off if we spent most of our time on making the plainly 
helpful features work well and interoperably. Errors just have to be 
prevented, it's not so important exactly how. Report any of the three.

Arnt