Subject: Re: [lemonade] CONTEXT

From: Dan Karp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:57:16 -0700 (PDT)

> 2) Complicates client code. They have to implement two ways to do the
> same thing. Using the position could give a tiny bit of better
> performance, but if I implemented such code I'd still add a check to
> verify that the server's position actually was correct (there are so
> many bugs in server implementations already..). So would a client
> implementor even bother to implement this or just use the same code
> for all servers?

This is a pretty good argument.  Having different code paths for CONTEXT
servers and non-CONTEXT servers is a pain in the ass.

But if you're actually worried about buggy server implementations, I'd
bet that incorrect server-side SORT ordering is much more likely than
incorrect server-side CONTEXT updates.

(As an aside, the idea of client-side ordering exactly matching server-side
ordering is a little sketchy to begin with.  In particular, for SUBJECT
sorting it assumes that the client and the server share the same RFC 2047
header decoder and that they support the same set of charsets, which is
unlikely to be the case.)
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade