Subject: Re: [lemonade] WGLC Notifications

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 16:00:11 -0700

At 4:32 PM +0100 6/14/08, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

>   >>  Some comments below:
>>>
>>>>       *    NF and DF:  When internal to the mail store, these are
>>>>
>>>>       typically implemented using Sieve and hence a Sieve management
>>>
>>>  >     protocol is used for client modifications.  See [IMAP-SIEVE] and
>>>  >     [MANAGE-SIEVE] for more information.  When the NF is within a
>>>
>>>>       notification server, it is out of scope of Lemonade.
>>>
>>>   I don't think [IMAP-SIEVE] is relevant in case of NF or DF.
>>>   Unless NF is invoked on message flag changes, etc.
>>
>>  I'm happy deleting the reference to IMAP-SIEVE, however, if a client
>>  is only interested in some mailboxes, rather than having a main Sieve
>>  script send notifications for all new mail, it might be better to have
>>  a per-mailbox Sieve script send notifications.
>
>  Per mailbox scripts are not invoked on message delivery, so IMAP-Sieve
>  is not going to help.
>  IMAP-Sieve will only matter for IMAP APPEND, but I think this is a less
>  common case than message delivery using SMTP/LMTP. Also APPENDs are
>  likely to be caused by the user herself, so there would be no much point
>  in notifying about them.

It depends on how messages are filed.  Assuming separate IMAP 
mailboxes are used for filing, messages could be filed using some 
on-server filtering, in which case IMAP-SIEVE doesn't apply.  But 
messages might also get filed by a desktop client.  You argue that 
there is no need for IMAP-SIEVE notifications to the mobile client in 
this case, since presumably the user manually caused the message to 
be moved.  I can see a case for this, but also a case for the mobile 
client wanting notifications whenever new messages appear in a 
mailbox that is marked "interesting" on the device.  For example, 
maybe this is an "in process" folder, and the user transfers messages 
in all the time, and peruses them while on the road, using the mobile 
IMAP client.

At any rate, the only reference to IMAP-SIEVE was in the NF bullet in 
Section 2.  I changed the text to include "[SIEVE]" as well as 
"[IMAP-SIEVE]" , so it now reads "See [SIEVE], [IMAP-SIEVE] and 
[MANAGE-SIEVE] for more information."  (The context of the reference 
is an aside about management, so it's very indirect.)

I'll put out an -09 with this change.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Computers ... are not designed, as we are, for ambiguity.  --Thomas
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 17:44:25 -0700

At 4:00 PM -0700 7/7/08, I wrote:

>  At any rate, the only reference to IMAP-SIEVE was in the NF bullet 
> in Section 2.  I changed the text to include "[SIEVE]" as well as 
> [MANAGE-SIEVE] for more information."  (The context of the 
> reference is an aside about management, so it's very indirect.)
>

Oops!  When I wrote that, I was working off an old version of my data 
(long story) and didn't realize it.

I changed the IMAP-SIEVE reference in the DF/NF text in Section 2 to say:

     Per-mailbox notifications might be implemented
     using a combination of a primary Sieve script for notifications on
     delivery into a mailbox (e.g., FILEINTO) and a per-mailbox Sieve
     script such as [IMAP-SIEVE] for transfers into a mailbox.

Version -10 (not 9, which was published last month) will be uploaded shortly.

-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Did you know...
That no one ever reads these things?
_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade