Subject: Re: [lisp] EID allocation / ALT base

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 03:15:27 EDT

In einer eMail vom 16.10.2010 21:21:13 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

> Who  will OWN the ALT ?  Cisco? Or the US-goverment? Imho, who will   
> own the ALT, will own the internet !

The same question I'll  ask you now, who owns the DNS system?

The answer is the  same.

> How many ALT-routers will be required?

How many DNS  servers are needed to support 1 billion names?

So why don't you just use DNS (LISP 2.0) instead of the ALT router? It  
would be much faster if you get all
the info by just one query!
 
Heiner

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 05:26:52 -0700

> In einer eMail vom 16.10.2010 21:21:13 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit  
> schreibt [email-masked]:
> So why don't you just use DNS (LISP 2.0) instead of the ALT router?  
> It would be much faster if you get all

Because when a mapping database entry changes in a set of ETRs, they  
not only need to update all the ITR/PITR caches but the ALT-caches as  
well since DNS is a "intermediate caching system". That makes the  
mechanism difficult and non-scalable.

Dino