Subject: Re: [lmap] Standard for coordination between MAs

From: James Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 19:20:55 -0400

Let me illustrate another use case.

:: Whitebox to Smartphone Testing

Consider a MA that is the client to a measurement server ("offnet server")
for a large scale measurement network ("whitebox") that also serves as a
measurement server for other MA's connecting via WiFI on WLAN
("smartphone").

The whitebox makes observations for a variety of performance
characteristics on a fixed CABLE / FIBER / DSL connection, caches the
statistics locally but also uploads them to a backend collector host.

The smartphone performs tests against a whitebox to test the performance
over the wireless link as well as tests to an offnet server for an
end-to-end metric through the whitebox and fixed connection.

The whitebox might communicate to the smartphone information about the
fixed connection, such as the provider, speed tier or other, as well as the
running statistics (last hours performance for upload/download and latency
for example).  The information collected by the smartphone combined with
the information provided by the whitebox might be necessary for
understanding the smartphones performance on teh WLAN separate from the
backhaul fixed connection.

Information might be available for the whitebox separately, but it might
not be available for privacy reasons or within a time frame that satisfies
an operational need for the smartphone.

Trust could be established using physical access to the devices or other
means.
--
[email-masked]

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen."
(What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence.  )
Ludwig Josef Johann Wittgenstein

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 4:39 AM, Juergen Schoenwaelder <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 07:03:14PM -0300, Holger Wiehen wrote:
> > Hi Al.
> >
> > Thank's for your reply.
> >
> > I will try illustrate our idea of MA Communications with 2 example use
> cases.
> >
> > One example would be a MA initiated by a human user, executing
> measurements against a remote MA. Results obtained on the remote MA should
> be presented to the end user (local MA), with low delay.
> >
> > I understand that pushing results to a MA could not be solved with the
> report flow specified by LMAP. In an end user focused use case, exchanging
> reports directly between MAs, would allow for quick and resilient reporting
> to users. This reporting would be in addition to the usual report
> submission to the LMAP collector.
>
> Can you provide a concrete example where this is useful? Can anyone on the
> Internet use the MA for measurements? If not, how do you establish a trust
> relationship?
>
> > A second use case is a MA responding active measurements initiated by
> another MA. Our responding MA receives its configuration from the LMAP
> controller, but once it is set up, it does not depend on the control
> channel in order to respond to measurements initiated by a remote MA. The
> responding MA receives parameters specific to a single measurement session,
> from the initiating MA. Coordinating active measurements directly between
> MAs would increase resilience and reduce timing issues.
>
> Can you provide a concrete example where this is useful? How do you
> establish a trust relationship?
>
> /js
>
> --
> Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
> Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
> Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
>
> _______________________________________________
> lmap mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lmap
>