Subject: [lp-wan] Document Action: 'LPWAN Overview' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-lpwan-overview-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 06:30:18 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'LPWAN Overview'
  (draft-ietf-lpwan-overview-10.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 over Low Power Wide-Area Networks
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Suresh Krishnan and Terry Manderson.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lpwan-overview/

Technical Summary

  This document is an overview of the set of Low-Power Wide-Area Network
  technologies being considered in the IETF and of the gaps that exist between
  the needs of those technologies and the goal of running IP in LPWANs. The four
  baseline LPWAN technologies are described at a level, which allows to identify
  the necessary adaptations for each of them. The document provides overviews of
  the characteristics of the PHY and MAC layers of the various technologies, the
  deployment topologies, addressing and security features. It is not a critical
  review of the technologies and its goal is not to provide a comparison between
  them. Instead, it's purpose is to enable the understanding of the features of
  the "IP over LPWAN" design space. The document also provides a guide on the
  terminologies used across the various baseline technologies.

Working Group Summary

  The document is the combined effort of representatives of the four baseline
  LPWAN technologies, each authoring the part corresponding to their technology.
  Significant parts of the gap analysis have been contributed by other WG
  participants. With 12 contributing authors, the document is the fruit of a
  constructive work of many different organizations and individuals.

Document Quality

  The document provides an informational overview of technologies, which were
  defined outside the IETF. Each of the baseline technology providers
  (alliances, standardization bodies, companies) have designated corresponding
  authors for the relative sections. The gap analysis and the other common
  sections were widely reviewed and discussed by the many authors of the
  document (12) and the WG as whole. The document is of excellent quality. The
  LPWAN technologies evolve rapidly, and the document provides a view that is
  frozen at the time of the writing.

Personnel

  The document shepherd is Alexander Pelov. The responsible Area Director is Suresh Krishnan.