Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #946] use of both length and positiontoidentify subtag problematic

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 16:36:03 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On
> Behalf Of Marion Gunn

> Is that an argument for replacing hypens with underlines?
> 
> If so, I agree.

Replacing hyphens with underlines would create confusion with locale IDs
used in various software implementations, and would be incompatible with
RFC 1766 and RFC 3066 implementations -- that is a no-go.

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 02:44:53 +0200

At 01:36 11/05/2005, Peter Constable wrote:
>used in various software implementations,

Dear Peter,
this is an important element you never explained. Can you document this 
with examples?
thank you.
jfc

---

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 19:28:47 -0700

> From: JFC (Jefsey) Morfin [mailto:[email-masked]]

> >used in various software implementations,

POSIX / Unix locales have typically used locale IDs of the form ll_CC.
Language tags serve a different purpose and have different requirements
than locale tags. (There are important areas of overlap, but they are
ultimately distinct.) There is some confusion out there between the two,
and changing language tags to use underlines rather than hyphens would
only make it harder to educate.

Whether or not you accept this, the back compat problem makes such a
change impossible.

Peter Constable