Subject: [Ltru] regionalisation

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 04:02:52 +0200

For information I engage a project which calls for a certain convergence of 
E.164 and ISO 3166. I will need to know the main script and language for a 
given telephone exchange (on-line telephone directory).

I note that IETF is engaged in utilising ISO 3166 alpha-2 codes - with the 
problems Franck rises - only because at the beginning we needed to build 
names and chose ISO 3166 alpha-3 first, and pasted alpha-2 for refilers 
when connecting the ARPA Internet. We were also using X.121 but IETF was 
never concerned due to the slowliness of IPv6 (however the DoD wrote an RFC 
on the matter). Anyway X.121 uses nationwide DCC  - (Data Country Codes) as 
does ISO 3166.

Internet is a network communication tool and ITU is more appropriate for 
the defining the regionalisation standard of a network than ISO and UN. 
Actually E.163 and area codes are probably more precise for what we want to 
document than ISO 3166 even ISO 3166-2 which is only a list, while the 
telephone directory is usually hierarchical and very local.

We obviously have a problem of stability. I tend to think E.164 is by 
nature more stable than ISO 3166 and it is all numeric. Main area codes 
stability is actually to consider: a part from adjustments like in the US 
due to the scarcity of number in some zones, or the reorganisation of the 
French system adding a regional layer, I tend to think it is more stable 
than ISO-3166-2 which keeps fixed location, while area code and exchanges 
tend to follow the population (what interests us in term of language).

Has someone considered the inputs from the WG-Geopriv?
jfc

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru