Subject: [Ltru] Re: a way toward homograph resolution ?

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 16:06:35 +0200

On 08:18 11/05/2005, Randy Presuhn said on the [email-masked] list
>Hi -
>Let it suffice for me to say that I believe the gentleman is mistaken.
>I do not intend to waste additional bandwidth on this thread.
>Those interested in ltru and its work will find our charter at
>http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html and our archives at
>http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/index.html

Bravo, Randy! This is the good spirit.

I fully agree we need there a few people more who know and care about the 
network architecture and who have read the charter. We will soon discuss 
the charter, so now is a good time to join. Every point which can be 
addressed/clarified within the WG will not have to be addressed during the 
Last Call, or will permit to speed up the Last Call.

FYI I, I consider hosting a one/two day(s) concertation meeting on 
Multilingual Internet and MGN (multilingual generalized/global network) in 
Versailles. After the UNESCO Bamako meeting on Multilingual Cyberspace, and 
the Paris EGENI meeting on July 2nd.

I have here access to a prestigious XVIIIth century lounge (Chamber of 
Commerce). I plan informally inviting people from MINC, ISO, UNESCO, ITU, 
Eurolinc, AFRAC, WSIS, GAC, etc. Every IETF interested member would be 
welcome. This could be at the occasion of the IETF meeting (days before or 
the day after). The room can accept 30 persons on a table and 100 
otherwise. A 200 cosy seats room at the Town Hall (on the Castle Avenue) 
could also be used. This would be for some brain storming before Tunis.

Topics could include:

- a Network Technical Document (could also be an IETF draft?) on a "MGN 
languages and cultures identification framework"
- IPv6 international divide. Sovereignty over national naming and numbering 
spaces. National intelligence protection.
- technical support of the regalian services.
- IDN vs. ML.ML names and multilingual grassroots international efforts and 
deployment
- international classes and groups
- multilingual keyboards and panel to support universal applications 
propositions.
- CRC (context reference centers) and decentralised universal root and 
Identification Grids.
- participation to ISO committees, and international structures
- consideration of IAB RFC 3869, and R&D strategies of the different 
governments
- MLTF project and directory
- report on MGN applications and project and on SNHN support.

I am ready to include some form of F2F preparation of the WG-ltru current 
Draft being hold there (I informed of my invitation of the WG for a F2F 
meeting). May be over a diner (?). To try to settle at least a few points 
in a more general architectural and consensual perspective, with the 
legitimacy of the leading concerned parties being involved (I note that I 
am the only non-English speaker at the WG-ltru, what is preoccupying when 
dealing with a change in the Internet support of languages, and a 
responsibility I would love to share with other non-English speakers. I am 
very concerned by the IETF deliverables being deprecated by reality before 
being published).

I suggest that those who are interested contact me off-line not to overload 
the IETF general mailing list.
jfc

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 12:09:35 -0700

Hi -

I'd like to thank Jefsey for the generous offer.  The date proposed is too
close to the Paris IETF meeting.  We would not be able to make it an
official ltru WG interim meeting.  There is currently no plan for the WG
to meet in Paris, which would make scheduling an interim in July even
more unlikely.

If members of the working group believe it would be useful to have
a face-to-face WG session during the Paris IETF, they need to speak
up now, since Martin and I would need to request a meeting slot and
get our AD's approval to meet.

Randy, ltru co-chair

OT:
I am intrigued by the statement "I note that I am the only non-English
speaker at the WG-ltru".  Grammar aside, it can be read several ways:
  (1) All members except Jefsey are proficient in English.
  (2) Jefsey is the only member proficient in a language other than English.
  (3) All members except Jefsey have English as their native tongue.
  (4) All who have spoken on the ltru list, except Jefsey, are English.
  (5) All posters except Jefsey have posted only in English.

I know that (2), (3), and (4) are demonstrably false; one needs go no further
than the WG co-chairs to find the counter-examples.

> From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:06 AM
> Subject: Re: a way toward homograph resolution ?
>

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 00:48:39 +0200

>   (1) All members except Jefsey are proficient in English.

Please stop this non-technical ....

It seems that as you document it with your "Grammar aside": (1) is the only 
correct solution
jfc

BTW, thank you to tell me what is grammatically wrong in my sentence, since 
it was not intended.

----

On 21:09 11/05/2005, Randy Presuhn said:
>There is currently no plan for the WG to meet in Paris, which would make 
>scheduling an interim in July even more unlikely.

dear!!! I hoped this WG would be fully closed by then!!!

So, I was proposing to have a drink over a way to speed up the resolution 
process before disputing again over the Last Round. I am sure that if we 
could agree on what I propose (a non BCP RFC, respecting RFC 3066 and but 
your text otherwise, documenting your langtag "script" extensions) IESG 
would consider accepting it much faster.

But if you want to delay the things that long, we will keep going. Don't be 
afraid, it would be too harmfull otherwise.
jfc

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 17:07:20 -0700

Hi -

> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 3:48 PM
> Subject: Re: [Ltru] Interim and Paris?
>

> BTW, thank you to tell me what is grammatically wrong in my sentence, since
...

The word "at" should have been "in", and "WG-ltru" should have been "ltru WG".
Even with those corrections, the sentence is still odd, as "non-English speaker"
would normally be understood as someone with far less command of the language
than you.

The noun-like "non-English speaker" itself seems odd, though the adjective-like
"non- English speaking" would be ok. I'm sure someone who spends more time
thinking about English could give a better explanation for my native-speaker intuitions.

However, this is *way* off topic, so let's get back to work.

Randy