Subject: RE: [Ltru] [psg.com #967] address homograph issues insecurityconsiderations

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:46:11 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On
> Behalf Of Addison Phillips

> Close to rejecting it? It's utterly confused. Langtags have nothing to
do
> with IDN (which uses xn-- for something special) and there are no
> homographs in the ASCII range allowed for language tags (unless you
count
> L vs. 1 and o vs. 0). But these are restricted in use (nearly all the
> defined tags use alpha codes) and would have no measurable security
impact.

Quite so. To compare with the security issues of IDN is more than a
stretch.

On the other hand, can we be certain that someone someday might not find
a way to turn a confusion between e.g. 1996 and l996 in some future
client protocol? 

I'm not saying I'm convinced it's something we need to do. Just raising
possibilities.

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru