Subject: [Ltru] Schizophrenic treatment of grandfathered tags

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:48:05 -0400

The current draft can't make up its mind what to do about grandfathered
tags that become ordinarily valid later on, as zh-yue will when we
get ISO 693-3 tags.

2.2.2 says grandfathered tags can become redundant tags.

3.2 says the list of grandfathered tags is "permanent and stable",
but grandfathered items can be deprecated.

3.3 says the Type field (which contains "grandfathered" as one option)
MUST not be changed and is guaranteed stable over time.

The last graf of 3.3 says grandfathered tags MUST become redundant if
all their subtags become registered as an exception to the previous point.

3.4 says grandfathered tags may (not MAY) become deprecated due to registration
of subtags.

IMHO the resolution should be that grandfathered tags MUST become redundant
(not deprecated) if all their subtags are registered, and deprecated if a
replacement is found (like zh-cmn for zh-guoyu).

-- 
When I'm stuck in something boring              John Cowan              
where reading would be impossible or            (who loves Asimov too)
rude, I often set up math problems for          [email-masked]
myself and solve them as a way to pass          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
the time.      --John Jenkins                   http://www.reutershealth.com

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 20:42:31 -0700

Hi -

I've created this ticket for followups to
message http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg01782.html
where John Cowan wrote:

================

====================

Randy, ltru co-chair