Subject: [Ltru] Re: Last registry for now

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 22:51:04 -0700

Marion Gunn <mgunn at egt dot ie> wrote:

>> 2.  Underscores in field names are replaced by hyphens.  For example,
>> "File_Date" is changed to "File-Date"...
>
> Was there some irresistible reason for that last-minute framework
> change, Doug?

Yes.  It was in the draft, and we had talked about it on the list.  As I
said, I don't make these changes based on personal whim.

> I ask because underscores are linguistically neutral, hyphens not so,
> and you just wouldn't want to know what that change would do to some
> languages (if ever your registry were to be localized for use on
> non-English servers).

Addison is 100% correct: the field names should not be translated,
regardless of the location of the server.  This is a fundamental
database concept.  Table and column names are to be used internally by
the database, not displayed in user interfaces.

Having said that, I would add that if you *were* to take the ill-advised
step of translating the field names, you would obviously be under no
obligation to use hyphens in the translated names.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 22:54:21 -0700

Addison Phillips <addison dot phillips at quest dot com> wrote:

> 2. It is useful to actually describe record-jar formally. Perhaps an
> I-D should be created that does just that so that no one else need
> replicate this experience.

I think this is a terrific idea.

---

From: Marion Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 10:31:18 +0100

Scríobh Doug Ewell:
> ...

Not looking for extra work, having translated enough 'concatenated'
(yikes!) strings this year alone to last for a long time to come. If I
can quote you as to 'ill-advised' (above), that just lets me off on more hook.:-)

Best,
mg
-- 

Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an 
Bhóthair, Co. Átha Cliath, Éire.
* [email-masked] * [email-masked] *

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 10:39:32 +0200

>the database, not displayed in user interfaces.

grrr....
not translated: transcripted or whatever funny term you may use to mean 
using different scripts. When will you understand that multilingualism 
means different keyboards first. If you swear me that you are using an 
Arabic or a Chinese keyboard to contribute to this list and publish your 
registry file, I will drop this issue.

Sorry, but this mental permanent exclusion of 60% of the mankind starts 
harassing me.
There is only one globally acceptable script, it is '0-9'.
jfc

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 11:01:35 -0400

> registry file, I will drop this issue.

It's irrelevant.  It may be (just barely) possible to make productive
use of a general-purpose computer while never typing a Latin letter.
It is not now or in the foreseeable future possible to *program* one
without doing so.  Nor is there any reason to think that there will
ever be a general-purpose computer with no Latin-script capability.

> There is only one globally acceptable script, it is '0-9'.

In fact no.  There are currently in Unicode 20 other sets of digits used
with various scripts, mostly Indic and South-east Asian ones.

-- 
At the end of the Metatarsal Age, the dinosaurs         John Cowan
abruptly vanished. The theory that a single             [email-masked]
catastrophic event may have been responsible            www.reutershealth.com
has been strengthened by the recent discovery of        www.ccil.org/~cowan
a worldwide layer of whipped cream marking the
Creosote-Tutelary boundary.             --Science Made Stupid