Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #954] all aliases must be equally supported

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:19:43 -0700

The ISO 3166 MA _has_ control over the content of _ISO 3166_. This RFC
would specify how language subtags for use on the Internet are
controlled. ISO does not have direct control over that, nor is it a
priori necessary that the RFC must be written in a way that gives them
implicit control.

This much has been obvious for some time now, and it is not helping us
move toward completion to have to revisit such things. Can we please
bring an end to this?

Peter Constable

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On
> Behalf Of JFC (Jefsey) Morfin
> Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 4:55 PM
> To: Addison Phillips
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #954] all aliases must be equally
> supported
> 
> On 01:22 12/05/2005, Addison Phillips said:
> >Uh... The items in the registry all have dates attached to them. And
they
> >are in their own canonical table over which the registry draft has
> >ironclad control. We are discussing rules for the maintenance of
> canonical
> >values and stability of those values in that registry. The use of ISO
> 3166
> >to provide some of the values in that table does not mean that the
> >registry cedes control to the ISO 3166 MA. Defining rules for how the
> >registry tracks ISO 3166 is what we are about here, since creating
> >separate standards for these things is unappealing.
> 
> Can you document the interest of a canonical table over which you want
to
> have ironclad control? You create there your own standard. What for?
Your
> job is not to maintain a canonical base but to tell users what a code
used
> at a given date meant in the ISO table. It could change every year,
you do
> not mind. Not your concern. Your concern (look at the charter) is to
make
> sure the users know what is each subtag in the format and reach the
proper
> version value. The registry does not cede control to the ISO 3166 MA,
the
> ISO 3166 MA _HAS_ control, the registry just copy it in a readable
form
> for
> your usage. Otherwise it conflicts.
> jfc
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ltru mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 20:24:38 +0200

>move toward completion to have to revisit such things. Can we please

I fully understand that some may want to control ISO 3166 hoping that their 
involvement IANA will permit them to supersede the ISO 3166 MA and force 
him to obey their own [email-masked] decisions with Michael 
Everson's blessing.

I have no objection to that as it will only make obvious to everyone the 
orientations of the affinity group leading this WG and what it wants to 
achieve. My only concern is that will block the XML fix now very long 
awaited by Addison.

ISO 3166 is controlled by the ISO 3166 MA. Period. Full stop. Un point 
c'est tout.

1. the world will only laught at a system having its own ISO 3166 table
2. the charter explicitly asks us to avoid that changes in ISO 3166 create 
a confusion. Not to organise that confusion.

I really do enjoy this WG!
jfc