Subject: [Ltru] [psg.com #1009] generic variant subtags

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 22:53:03 -0700

Hi -

Recording yet another issue that I think has been resolved.  There's no
need to follow up on this one unless you think it merits additional discussion.

The initial proposal was floated on the [email-masked] list,
with some discussion spilling over onto the ltru WG mailing list.  I'm
just recording it in the issue tracker for completeness.
The proposal (from John Cowan) read:

This is a bit premature for both lists, but I wanted to float the idea
to see if there are any objections to it.

When the RFC 3066bis registry is up and running, I intend to propose
some highly generic variant subtags which may be used with many languages.
Some examples that come to mind are -northern, -southern, -eastern, -
western, and -central for geographical dialects; -ancient and -middle for earlier
versions of languages (-old being too short); and -highreg, -midreg,
and -lowreg for sociolinguistic registers.

Ietf-languages folks: do you have any objections to this idea?

Ltru folks: does one of these deserve to appear in the registry draft
as an example of a generic variant subtag?

------------------------------------------------------------

The proposal found little support and much opposition, so it
is marked "rejected"

Randy, ltru co-chair

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru