Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #1072] compatibility and private use tags

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 04:19:31 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Hi -

> From: r&d afrac <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Jul 28, 2005 1:05 PM
> To: Doug Ewell <[email-masked]>, LTRU Working Group <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #1072] compatibility and private use  tags
...
> This should only help us to find a way to make it a serious example to 
> illustrate a serious point. Today the only way I found is to remove 
> limitations on "x-" field, treating it as a normal regular escape sequence 
> (what does not prevent to say that if one wants to stay compatible with RFC 
> 3066 old format, 8alphanum MUST be used). Or to chose "0-" as an open 
> sequence (zero to be script independent).
>
> I do not see any problem and you should not either with:
>
> "0-language-tags.x-tags.com:singapourien.jefsey-languages.com:20051203160809A-2001:879:98F6::789C:1236"
...

Disallowed by section 3.6 of the registry i-d on extensions:
   o  The specification and all subtags defined by the specification
      MUST follow the ABNF and other rules for the formation of tags and
      subtags as defined in this document.  In particular it MUST
      specify that case is not significant and that subtags MUST NOT
      exceed eight characters in length.

Randy

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 07:12:21 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Hi -

I'll record this in the tracker, and post a separate message with the
assigned number.

Randy

-----Original Message-----
 From: r&d afrac <[email-masked]>
Sent: Aug 2, 2005 5:31 AM
To: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #1072] compatibility and private use   tags

>       exceed eight characters in length.

Is your co-Chair Hat on or off?

Fully permitted by my standing proposition (July 30th morning your time) of 
the following text discussed with Lee. In case you ignore it 
because  co-Chairs refuse to enter it in the tracking system, I repeat it 
here after.

"2.2.8 Escape Sequence

For compatibility with other language tags systems the "0-" singleton 
escape sequence if provided. It means that the "0-" singleton MUST be 
considered as an end of a language tag as documented by this memo. 
Everything following the "0-" singleton escape sequence, even after another 
singleton, MUST be treated as foreign to the present rules and documented 
registry; and as defined by another set of rules and another registry. To 
avoid confusion that set of rules and registry SHOULD be identified by a 
scheme built in using a unique identifier belonging to its registry 
manager, or defined by an RFC."

jfc

---

From: "L.Gillam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 13:53:42 +0100

> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Randy Presuhn
> Sent: 02 August 2005 13:12
> To: [email-masked]

[snip]

> the following text discussed with Lee.

If this statement is intended to imply that I am in agreement 
with Jefsey's standing proposition, it should be withdrawn.