Subject: [Ltru] Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:45:20 -0400

The IESG has received a request from the Language Tag Registry Update WG to 
consider the following documents:

- 'Initial Language Subtag Registry '
   <draft-ietf-ltru-initial-04.txt> as an Informational RFC
- 'Tags for Identifying Languages '
   <draft-ietf-ltru-registry-12.txt> as a BCP

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2005-09-06.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-initial-04.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-registry-12.txt

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:22:25 +0200

The IESG wrote:
 
> The IESG has received a request from the Language Tag
> Registry Update WG to consider
[...]
>    <draft-ietf-ltru-registry-12.txt> as a BCP

JFTR, nothing new, I still prefer standards track:

3066bis   could obsolete 3066 (BCP 47) also as PS.
3066ter   oould integrate ISO 639-3 as DS (minor update)
3066tetra oould integrate ISO 639-6 as STD

Okay, not a real protocol, all hate "three-step", the works.
OTOH we already know that there will be at least a 3066ter,
and I consider STD as "better" than BCP (maybe unjustified,
but many BCPs are only IETF-internal meta / admin documents)

                       Bye, Frank

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:25:34 -0700

> 3066tetra oould integrate ISO 639-6 as STD

can't do that.... it's added functionality.....

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:37:52 +0200

> can't do that.... it's added functionality.....

The extlang is already there, 3066ter will more or less allow
a bulk update, because the tag review list + IANA won't like
to handle 6000+ registrations "manually".  The "functionality"
won't change, some minor editorial changes mentioning 639-3.

One of these IETF mysteries, but you got me to read 2026 6.2
twice.  It's something on my side, I don't like the mixture of
"real" documents like 3066bis and "meta" documents like 3934
in the same BCP series.
                          Bye, Frank