Subject: [Ltru] Re: Last Call: 'Tags for Identifying Languages' to BCP

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:35:13 -0700

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

> From the input of Doug Ewell its _initial_ version withISO 639-6 will
> include 40.000 lines.

I never said that.  I would not make any statement about ISO 639-6 when
the data is not available.

I said that the deltas for the initial version with ISO 639-*3* would
add up to 35,700 lines -- and yes, that would put the grand total at
over 40,000 lines.

It's hard to follow this line of argument that a registry with 7,600
languages would be too large, and simultaneously that it should instead
support 20,000 languages, unles the object is to do away with the
registry altogether and have everyone invent new tags on the fly.  What
good would such nonce tags be?

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: D�l�gu� G�n�ral <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:20:54 +0200

Sorry, typo of mine.
I meant ISO 639-3. You are correct.

>good would such nonce tags be?

I say that a large reistry implies problem which have not been 
addressed. I have other solutions based upon another architecture. I 
have none with yours. This is why I ask.

Cheers.
jfc