Subject: [Ltru] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ltru-registry-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Language Tag Registry Update Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Tags for Identifying Languages
	Author(s)	: A. Phillips, M. Davis
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ltru-registry-10.txt
	Pages		: 62
	Date		: 2005-8-5
	
This document describes the structure, content, construction, and
   semantics of language tags for use in cases where it is desirable to
   indicate the language used in an information object.  It also
   describes how to register values for use in language tags and the
   creation of user defined extensions for private interchange.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-registry-10.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ltru-registry-10.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-registry-10.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Kent Karlsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:51:01 +0200 (CEST)

Section 5.2 seems to imply that an initial extensions registry will
be generated by this WG, like that for initial subtags registry.
I guess it initially will be empty, just (?) containing a File-Date;
but if that is stated explicitly anywhere, then I have so far not
reached that piece of text. (Nit: File-Date updates should be done
like for the subtag registry, I guess; but when a record is updated,
the date of the update should be included in the record itself
("Last-Update:"?); also for language subtag registry records.)

The extensions registry does not seem to have the same maintenance
rigor in where it is to be placed and handled as the subtag registry.

Since there has been some (too...) detail updates to the -initial
document on which registry is meant (which is quite clear there),
is is a bit odd that the -registry document sometimes says just
"the registry", when that document actually talks about two
registries, the (IANA) Language subtag registry, and the (IANA)
Language extension subtag registry. I, at least, got the impression
that those are two separate registries. I would suggest that each
occurrence of "registry" in the -registry document be clarified
to "(IANA) Language subtag registry", "(IANA) Language tag extension
registry", or "(IANA) Language subtag and tag extensions registries"
(with suitable unambiguous short forms) as appropriate.

    /kent k