Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: LTRU submission: draft-ietf-ltru-registry-10

From: Misha Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 14:34:16 +0100

Hi Frank,

> [...] I wanted to get rid of all old regions from the 
> second millennium [...]

Please check your calendar.  We are in the sixth millennium, 
as the current year is 5765.  I doubt that we are including 
named regions from the second millennium, though maybe we 
should be doing so:-)

Misha

-----------------------------------------------------------------
        Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com

To find out more about Reuters Products and Services visit http://www.reuters.com/productinfo 

Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual
sender,  except  where  the sender specifically states them to be
the views of Reuters Ltd.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 17:47:22 +0200

Misha Wolf wrote:
 
> as the current year is 5765.

"Obsoletes 3066, updates 3339" -  we could have a lot of fun
with these issues, I'm a lurker on the TZ list.  As long as
you don't count seconds since 1970-01-01T00:00Z it's okay -
otherwise I'm lost with leap seconds.

Some algorithms I use break before 0000-03-011T00:00Z, that's
"base" day -306 with REXX, MJD -678881, or JD 1721119.5, so I
still prefer to count days after 0000-02-28.  Assuming that
"0000" is allowed for the moment, and ignoring all historical
dates before JD 2299161, JD 2361222, or whenever you want the
current leap year scheme to start.

> I doubt that we are including named regions from the second
> millennium, though maybe we should be doing so:-)

Not for long, the Mayan calendar cycle ends 2012 / 5772, that
is by definition the end of the universe. :-)  Just looking
into RfC 2445 (text/calendar) for the first time - we better
stay away from these issues as far as possible.  <shudder />

                            Bye, Frank