Subject: RE: [Ltru] ISO 11173 (non) alignment in main draft

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 07:41:51 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On
> Behalf Of r&d afrac

> Proposed choice (or anyone can better the texts if respecting their
> intent). The target is clarity.
> 
> (a) "Even if the registry documented in this memo relates in part to
ISO
> codes it is not aligned on ISO 11173 provisions."
> 
> (b) "The registry documented in this memo relates in part to ISO codes
and
> SHOULD respect their alignment on ISO 11173 provisions as they
develop."

I strongly object to both wordings. Apart from the typo (referring to a
standard on plastics), "aligned on ISO 11179 provisions" is thoroughly
ambiguous, and nothing of particular use is contributed. Indeed, I find
both to introduce problems:

- The first wording contributes nothing other than to inform users of
how this registry relates to ISO 11179, which assessment should not be
stated unless this or a subsequent WG reviews a written analysis of the
same. 

- The second wording imposes a requirement on IANA with no guidance
whatsoever on how it should be fulfilled; moreover, it imposes a
vaguely-stated requirement that could permit future interpretation
requiring changes in the specification in which it would be contained in
ways that are completely unforeseen.

We have been over the role of ISO 11179 in relation to this draft before
and concluded that no reference to it was required. I would like to see
this matter put to rest.

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:27:11 -0700

Hi -

I've seen no support for Jefsey's latest proposal, so this
issue remains closed with a "rejected" status.

Randy, ltru co-chair

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 7:41 AM
Subject: RE: [Ltru] ISO 11173 (non) alignment in main draft

On

ISO
and
develop."

Peter Constable