Subject: RE: [Ltru] singleton DIGIT (was: W3C tag policy disclaimersand IETFRFCs)

From: Misha Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:27:28 +0100

+1

Misha

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Addison Phillips
Sent: 09 August 2005 17:05
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Ltru] singleton DIGIT (was: W3C tag policy disclaimersand
IETFRFCs)

There is nothing preventing the creation of a tagging scheme that is not
compatible with RFC 3066. There is no reason why one cannot create a new
and potentially better scheme, using whatever requirements one feels
compelling: I have proposed one myself in the past.

I do not insist on the primacy of any particular design, but Jefsey's
design and proposed text do not meet a fundamental requirement for a
specification compatible with RFC 3066, which is one of the requirements
this Working Group has chosen to impose upon ourselves. It would be poor
practice to encourage malformed data to be transmitted using existing
RFC 3066 implementations and protocols, since we do not know the full
impact on interoperability.

Therefore: 

- I oppose the last call suggestion to put in text reserving the digit 0
to introduce malformed tags.

- I support fixing the text where it says "letter" to say "character" in
reference to singletons.

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
        Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com

To find out more about Reuters Products and Services visit http://www.reuters.com/productinfo 

Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual
sender,  except  where  the sender specifically states them to be
the views of Reuters Ltd.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru