Subject: RE: [Ltru] Recall of the LSR (gen-art #2)

From: "Peter Constable" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:36:06 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of
> Addison Phillips

> > > Given recent IETF discussions, should the document set out ways
for
> > > the community to request the unfrocking (recall) of the Language
> > > Subtag Reviewer in the event of non-performance or repeated
> inappropriate
> > > decisions?   Also would it be appropriate to suggest that the IESG
> > > document the name of the reviewer on their web page and
periodically
> > > reconfirm the appointment?  I don't think a fixed term appointment
> > > would be desirable, and I agree this is not something for nomcom
to
> > > be involved in.
> > [Addison Phillips]
> >
> > Those are good questions. I'm not sure if there are any similar
> > practices anywhere else in the IETF. Presumably the appointing
> > authority is the unappointing authority too and the body to whom to
> >appeal?
> 
> Those are still good questions. Comments?

I'm not sure specifically what "recent IETF discussions" is referring
to, so the following comments do not benefit from that. 

I note that RFC 2978 doesn't have language addressing such issues (and,
of course, neither did RFC 3066).

I certainly don't think these are bad ideas, though I'm not sure that
text needs to be added to this draft. If IESG wants to document the name
of the reviewer on their web page, I don't think we need to add anything
in the draft to make them do it. That's a purely IESG administrative
activity. It would also seem to me to be more appropriate that a
separate document define policies under which action against a reviewer
of any IETF-sanctioned registry might be taken.

For comparison, I'll mention that ISO standards such as ISO 639-x define
a registration authority and their responsibilities without also
specifying procedures for taking disciplinary action against an RA or
re-confirming their appointment.

Peter Constable

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru